Boro fall to Cup thrashing

SCARBOROUGH Athletic were swatted out of the Presidents Cup last night at table-topping Farsley.

Paul Olsson’s men did have aspirations of booking a place in the final of the competition, but a 5-0 thrashing ended the silverware dream.

The Boro boss wasn’t helped by a selection crisis, as Richard Medcalf, Gary Hepples, Nick McNamara and Callum Reid were unavailable.

Bill Law was involved in a car crash on the way to the game, while Ryan Blott picked up a foot injury in the warm-up.

Olsson said: “I’m not making excuses, but when you play teams like Farsley, you need your full-strength team out.

“We were missing enough players to start with, then Bill couldn’t play because of his accident and Blotty got injured.

“Ryan did play for an hour, but he had to use bigger boots because his foot had swelled up so much.

“Farsley are a good side, who are strong and work very hard.

“We were only a goal down at half-time, but their quality shone through after that.

“I can’t fault the effort of our lads, but we just needed a stronger side out.”

A weakened Boro were always going to be tested by the swift football of the Farsley midfield and the electric pace of their strike-force.

Frontmen Ben Jones and Gareth Grant did have a number of opportunities in the early part of the game, with Boro keeper Tom Woodhead keeping out the best with a neat save.

The breakthrough came on the half-hour when a slack pass by Richard Dunning allowed Grant to take flight into the penalty area.

He pushed the ball past Woodhead and then stumbled, leaving official Mr Mason with no choice, but to point at the spot.

Jones strode forward and rolled the ball into the net.

Boro’s only highlight of the half, and probably the game, came just before the break.

Blott collected in the box and jigged through three challenges. His curling shot was heading into the bottom corner until keeper Tom Morgan pushed it to safety.

The new half moved away to a horrible start for Boro.

Grant glided easily past a static Mike Gibson and then lifted his strike into the back of the net.

The third followed soon after, and it was more generous defending by a disappearing Boro back-line that made it possible.

Ryan Serrant crossed from the left, the ball fell to the feet of Simeon Bambrook, who beat Jenkinson and Woodhead before smashing home.

Blott limped off on the hour to be replaced by former West Pier Reserves striker Mikey Barker, but both he and fellow sub James Webb were left chasing shadows for the rest of the game.

This was the case at the other end as well, as the Farsley attack sliced through Boro at will.

Grant should have made it four when he somehow missed from the a free header.

The fourth of the game did finally arrive as the game moved into the last 10 minutes.

Frank Belt played Grant on side and he was free to charge through the middle. The striker rolled through the hands of Woodhead and Dominic Krief swept home.

Farsley wrapped things up in the final seconds, when Bambrook’s shot from distance was saved, but Betts was first to pounce and poke home.

Boro: Woodhead 6, Clayton 4 (Webb 46 5), Ingram 5, Jenkinson 5, Gibson 4 (Gravill 85), Leister 6, Belt 5, Dunning 4, Blott 5 (Barker 62 5), Hartley 5, Botham 4.

Goals: 1-0 Jones pen (32), 2-0 Grant (47), 3-0 Bambrook (56), 4-0 Krief (81), 5-0 Betts (89).

Attendance: 190.

Referee: N Mason (Doncaster) 4.