Boro go top after Maltby mauling

editorial image

Scarborough Athletic moved to the head of the NCEL Premier pile on Saturday when they swept Maltby Main aside at a damp Queensgate.

With the game being the only fixture to take place due to the attrocious weather, Boro took full advantage and leap-frogged their Boxing Day opponents Bridlington Town with a powerful 4-0 victory.

Much of the focus was on new signing Jimmy Beadle, but it was fellow central midfielders Tommy Adams and Pete Davidson who took the starring role on the day.

The pair put Boro on the front foot from the very beginning, as Maltby’s back-line creaked under the early pressure.

Neat link-up play sent Ollie Banks charging into the box, but his low shot struck the side-netting.

Adams went one better soon after though, collecting James Bennett’s corner from the left and smashing it beyond keeper Jamie Bailey.

Boro maintained the pressure from the restart, with a combination of Sam Denton and a Maltby defender bundling the ball just over the bar.

Maltby’s only threat came from burly striker Brian Cusworth, who twice went close to restoring parity.

His looping shot struck the underside of the bar with Boro keeper Wilson well beaten, then the home stopper did get his hands on the ball when Cusworth pulled the trigger for a second time.

Maltby’s raids were rare though, with the majority of the action taking place around the visiting side’s penalty area.

Matty Plummer picked up a Tony Hackworth lay-off on the edge of the box and skimmed the bar with his drive, Then Adams struck the foot of the post after a delightful flowing move.

Things didn’t get any better for Maltby when the second half began, as Boro began to make their opportunities tell.

The hosts doubled their lead with 55 minutes on the clock when good persistence from Ryan Blott guided the ball into the path of Hackworth, who neatly rolled his finish into an unguarded net.

Then the pair switched roles just after the hour, as Hackworth crossed to Blott, who clipped home off the post.

Adam Houghton almost trimmed the lead back to two when he stabbed just past the upright, an effort that was Maltby’s last of the game.

Boss Rudy Funk rung the changes in the latter stages, with Beadle coming on for his debut and Henry Sibenge also stepping into the action.

Boosted by this, they soon wrapped the game up, when Blott scampered through, shrugged off a defender and stroked beyond the keeper.

In tough conditions this was a solid performance from Boro, though for much of the game they comfortably controlled the proceedings, despite the fact that they rarely stepped out of second gear.