Boro grab Sutton success

editorial image

Scarborough Athletic ended their barren run in the Evo-Stik South when they comfortably swept Sutton Coldfield away at Queensgate.

The high of the FA Trophy win at Prescot was maintained as the two goals without reply were enough to seal a vital three points.

The Boro coaching staff rung the changes from the side that won in the Trophy, the main alteration being the addition of keeper Joe Cracknell, who came in for injured custodian Jason White.

The home fans were also buoyed by a return to the squad from long-serving attacker Tony Hackworth, who looks to have recovered well from his troublesome Achilles injury.

As positive as things looked at kick-off, the mood could have dipped just seconds into the fixture when wide-man Reece Leek cantered clear of the Boro defence.

But rather than testing debutant Cracknell, he blasted his shot well over the bar.

After this Boro soon assumed their position as the dominant force in the game, with Sutton being pressed back into their own half.

The link-up play in attack between Bryan Hughes, Gary Bradshaw, Ryan Blott, Tom Davie and Ryan Williams was sharp and neat, but the cutting edge seemed to be absent from Boro’s play.

Boro began to find their touch though, sparking panic in a Sutton defence that only seemed capable of punting the ball as far as they could.

Bradshaw wriggled free in the box, but he lofted his shot just over the bar.

Then after some more great build-up play, the deadlock was smashed by defender Matty Plummer, who is showing a burst of form in front of goal.

Plummer’s initial effort was blocked and Blott’s rebounded strike seemed to be handled by a defender on the line. Plummer showed a cool head though when he crashed into the top corner, giving keeper Lee Evans no hope.

Within five minutes the lead was doubled after another incisive break.

Blott found some space on the right of the area and drilled the ball across goal, Davie reacted well to stab the ball home.

Boro could have moved further clear by the half-time interval, but Evans managed to hang onto Bradshaw’s low shot on the turn.

The hosts had another great chance when the second period began with Chris Bolder powering through on the Sutton goal.

Evans once again came out on top though, his strong left hand diverting Bolder’s shot to safety.

As the half went on, Boro clearly began to ease their foot off the gas, providing Sutton with something of a lifeline.

Fortunately for Boro though, Sutton clearly didn’t have a goal in them, huffing and puffing in attack, but having no end product.

Still they had opportunities though. Hughes had to clear a Mark Danks effort off the line and then Cracknell was forced to tip Tyrone Williams’ looping shot over the bar.

Boro made a few changes in a bid to bring them back to life. Bradshaw and Blott were withdrawn, with Hackworth and Lewis Clarkson taking their places.

Hackworth almost returned with a bang, beating a couple of challenges on his path into the Sutton box, but unfortunately his shooting sights were off and the ball ballooned over.

Sutton were a spent force by this point though and Boro had clearly done enough to give their points total a much-needed boost.