Boro hang on for away success

James Bennett hit Boro's second
James Bennett hit Boro's second

Scarborough Athletic produced one of their best performances of the season to grab a classy victory against Staveley Miners Welfare at a wet Inkersall Road.

There was just one change to the side that had come back from the brink at Nostell the previous Saturday, Denny Ingram replaced Tom Claisse as Boro reverted to three at the back, there was also a welcome return for Ollie Ryan who was on the bench.

They got off to a dream start taking the lead after just 38 seconds. A ball from the right wasn’t cleared by the Staveley, it ran onto Paddy Miller who rifled his shot under Richard Ayres.

Andy Milne made an important tackle as the home side rallied, before Boro’s Peter Davidson played in Ryan Blott but his shot was cleared.

Blott almost doubled the lead after 11 minutes, spotting Ayres off his line and attempted an audacious lob from 40 yards, luckily for the keeper he managed to back pedal and tipped the ball over the bar.

Staveley almost levelled soon after, a free-kick by Joe Thornton was headed against the post by Gavin Allott.

Boro were soon on the offensive and a Tony Hackworth shot was well saved by Ayres, then Blott picked up a pass from Daz Winter before firing inches wide.

Boro were now well in control and Hackworth tried his luck but was denied again by Ayres.

A minute into first half stoppage time, Boro doubled their advantage when a beautiful one-two between Bennett and Blott, ended with Bennett rounding Ayres and firing into an empty net.

Boro started the second half on the front foot and Miller sent in a rasping drive from 30 yards was turned aside by Ayres.

Boro should have gone three up after 58 minutes as Miller broke up a Staveley attack then went on a lung bursting 50 yard run. He played in fellow defender Matty Plummer, unfortunately Plummer tried to chip the ball over the advancing Ayres and it was eventually cleared off his own line by Richard Patterson.

Sub Joel Ramm found Davidson who fired inches over, then Blott produced some fantastic play on the right leaving his marker in his wake before driving straight at Ayres.

Ryan came on for Bennett and almost netted when he fired just wide from a Blott cross, then Blott intercepted a clearance but his shot was deflected for a corner.

Three minutes from time and completely out of the blue Staveley halved the arrears when a cross from the left wasn’t cleared. A shot was well saved by Steve Wilson, the rebound fell to Allott who fired home.

Despite there being three minutes of added on time Boro held out for a fantastic and more than deserved three points.