Boro hold on for Drayton win

editorial image

Scarborough Athletic boss Rudy Funk was delighted with his side’s display as they edged their way further up the Evo-Stik South on Saturday.

The battling 4-2 win at Market Drayton Town was Boro’s fifth in the league on the bounce, leaving them 11th in the table, though they do hold a fistful of games in hand.

“I’m really happy about the win, it was another disciplined performance away from home,” said Funk.

“In the first half we played well, but again we have to say a big well done to our keeper Jason White.

“After the break they came at us, but recently we have been winning a few games and scoring, which helped us to hold on.

“At the start of the season things didn’t go quite as we wanted, but we are in a good groove at the moment.

“Our lads are on the front foot and everything they hit is either going in or making the keeper work hard.

“An example of that is Gary Bradshaw’s goal, which hit the post and then went in off the keeper.

“We have to enjoy the moments we are currently having because things can change in football.”

Boro may have been wary at the beginning of the fixture, as they made the long journey without regular centre-back Andy Milne.

Drayton had also been in useful form of late, but the visitors soon set about pinning their rivals back.

Boro swung in a succession of early corners, one of which had to been cleared from under the bar by Drayton defender Elliott Ledwards.

The hosts had a threat of their own though, with most of Boro’s problems being caused by the slick Yannick Makota.

One of his bursts set up a huge scramble in the box, but keeper White was equal to three close-range shots and the score remained goalless.

Boro were still ticking over nicely in attack though, with much of the play involving the neat touches of Ryan Williams.

Pete Davidson almost finished off a swift break as he wriggled free in the box, but his low shot flew just past the post.

Then, just minutes later, Boro moved ahead when Bradshaw was released in on goal. The frontman kept his nerve and poked into the roof of the net.

Boro were fortunate to hold onto their lead as Drayton pushed on in the closing moments of the first half.

White clasped his hands around a swirling free-kick from Mike Clarkson and then Makota angled a header inches wide of the target.

The Boro keeper was again at his best when the new half began, brilliantly tipping a Rob Stevenson shot against the bar, the Drayton winger then lobbed the rebound wide.

Boro grabbed the cushion they needed seven minutes after the interval when Williams picked out Davie, who clinically rolled home.

Then, soon after the restart, Boro wrapped up the game when Ryan Blott’s drive smacked against the post and Davie stabbed home his second.

Things should probably have got worse for Drayton after that as Blott was hacked down in the box by Sean Jones, but the ref waved play-on.

Mr Hobday then produced a yellow card for Nick Porter’s awful tackle on Williams, when on another day it could easily have been a red.

Boro did smash in a fourth with 11 minutes of the game remaining, though the scorer will possibly have to go to the dubious goals panel.

Bradshaw found more space in the Drayton area and drove a shot that hit the post, bounced off the back of home keeper Damien Stevens and rolled into the net.

Boro had done enough to clinch the three points by this time, but they were forced to hang on in the final minutes.

The withdrawal of centre-back Paul Foot caused gaping holes in the Boro back-line, which were superbly exploited by Drayton.

Bryan Hughes lost the ball in the middle of the park, which resulted in sub Martyn Davies rolling home.

Then Makota took advantage of more slack play and he struck the ball under the advancing White.

Fortunately time ran out for the hosts and Boro’s impressive run continued.