Boro hold on in the Trophy

editorial image

Scarborough Athletic booked their place on the road at Stocksbridge Park Steels in the next round of the FA Trophy on Saturday when they edged their way to a 1-0 win at 10-man Prescot Cables.

Boro boss Rudy Funk rung the changes to a side that stuck to the formation of two banks of four, which supported Ryan Blott and Lewis Clarkson in attack.

New boy Joe Lamplough slotted into the back four, as did youngster Ben Middleton, while there was more youthful exuberance on the left of midfield in the shape of Tom Davie.

The game got away to a steady beginning, with much of the play centred around the middle of a lush Prescot surface.

The hosts had a good early chance when right-sided raider Robert Doran blasted over Jason White’s cross-bar.

Prescot had plenty of guile and fight in their performance, but they lacked the touch of quality that Bryan Hughes brought to the Boro team.

The veteran soon began sparking attacks at will, linking well with the deep-dropping Blott and the lively Ryan Williams on the right.

Clarkson was spear-heading much of Boro’s play, with his pacy yet raw style giving the home back-line a testing afternoon.

The young striker was unlucky not to open the scoring just 14 minutes into the tie when he dived full length to angle a header at goal, but the ball was hacked off the line.

Davie was also pressurising on the left, though his end product was lacking on a number of occasions.

The former North Ferriby man’s best opportunity saw him jig through a trio of challenges, but his strike flew into the trees behind the goal.

When the referee brought a tight first period to an end, the second began in a more open fashion.

Boro were pinned back immediately after the whistle, as Isaac Kusaloka just failed to throw himself onto a great ball across the box. Then ageing attacker Carl Furlong had a far post header saved by White.

Play soon switched to the other end and a swift incisive break gave Boro the lead.

Blott and Davie linked up and the latter whipped a great ball into the box that was clinically finished by Clarkson.

Boro’s plight was aided 10 minutes later when a huge flair up resulted in Furlong’s dismissal.

The former Wigan and Altrincham man didn’t like the attentions of young Middleton and he lashed out leaving the ref with no choice but to give him the first use of the soap. Middleton also got a yellow card for his trouble.

Boro introduced Steve Ridley, Pete Davidson and then Gary Bradshaw in a bid to cement their win and that seemed to work as the game began to peter out.

Hughes and Clarkson both went close, though it was Prescot who almost grabbed the second goal of the tie in the very last minute.

Doran was picked out unmarked at the far post and the wideman had time for a cup of tea before prodding home. Instead he chose to panic, smashing the ball with one-touch over the bar, allowing a huge sigh of relief from the visiting faithful.