Boro hopes dashed at Ossett

Scarborough Athletic's superb run of Evo-Stik North form came to a dismal end at Ossett Town on Tuesday night.

Tuesday, 1st November 2016, 8:38 pm
Updated Wednesday, 16th November 2016, 3:10 pm
Boro report

After controlling the first period, Boro crumbled after the break and Ossett cruised their way to a 4-2 success.

Not only did this end a winning run of five matches, but it also denied Steve Kittrick's side the chance to go top of the pile.

There was just one alteration to the team that won at the weekend, with the experience of Jamie Price replacing the engine of Eddy Birch.

It was concentration that Boro lacked in the opening minutes, as Ossett soon snatched a swift lead.

The lively Danny Frost found some space on the edge of the Boro box and finished well with a sweet drive past Jordan Porter.

Boro's retort was equally as swift. Top-scorer Carl Stewart marauded onto a ball down the right, cut in and slotted under Leigh Overton.

The action took a lengthy breather in the cold air following this early hot streak.

Both teams continued to look sharp on the break, but were lacking in the final third. Ossett were hampered further by the loss of goalscorer Frost just before the half-hour.

The feet of Cameron Murray seemed the most likely to unlock the home defence for a second time. He began to test their resistance when he sent two good efforts just over the bar.

That was that for the first period though and the travelling fans were looking positive as they warmed their hands on the half-time bovril.

It was Ossett who started the second half brightly, Dave Merris and Jameel Ible both making early clearances off their own line.

Former Boro man Alex Peterson then went close, but his drive was held by Porter.

That was a warning of things to come, as Peterson soon dealt a double blow to the Seasiders.

Having woefully scuffed a shot straight at a defender, the ball fell nicely to Peterson for a second bite of the cherry and he made it 2-1 just after the hour.

Then minutes later, his fortune continued, with the striker's shot looping up off the leg of Merris and into the back of the net.

Ossett maintained their pressure, despite alterations from the bench, and Tyrone gay stooped to head home a free-kick at the far post to make it 4-1.

Boro gritted their teeth in the closing stages, and they trimmed the cushion back to two goals with sub Eddy Birch let fly with a fizzing drive from the edge of the box.

Adam Bolder could have cut the lead further, but he volleyed over a David Brown cross. Then Benny Igiehon had a header clawed off the line by the keeper.

That was all Boro could muster in their charge for parity though, and the winning run came to a frustrating end.