BORO JUNIORS: Hot-shot Hesketh hits two in Under-13s success

Scarborough Athletic Under-13s travelled to Hessle Rangers in their latest league fixture.

Thursday, 16th March 2017, 12:43 pm
Updated Friday, 24th March 2017, 10:22 am
Scarborough Athletic Juniors reports

From the off Hessle tried to make it difficult for Boro by being very physical, but it wasn’t long before Oliver Hesketh’s brilliant piece of footwork found him some space on the edge of the box to fire Boro ahead.

Moments later Hesketh’s cross took a wicked deflection to loop over the keeper to make it 2-0.'¯

Boro continued to dominate the game while having to ride some heavy challenges.'¯

Just before half-time Charlie Wright hit a trademark rocket into the top corner from 20 yards to take Boro into the break 3-0 up.

The second half continued as the first half had left off, with Boro knocking the ball around well and they deservedly soon had a fourth with a great in-swinging corner from Liam Love that beat the Hessle keeper at his near post.

Second half sub Issac Grunwell outpaced the Hessle defence with a superb run before being hacked down by a defender in the box.

Wright stepped up and calmly fired in from the spot and Boro saw the game out to win 5-0.

Pelican United 3 Boro Under-12s 3Athletic started the game well playing some good football and creating plenty of chances, but just falling short of converting them.

It wasn’t long before Scarborough took the lead when Jack Blakemore created a chance for Frazer Ives to fire a shot on goal.

The Pelican keeper parried the shot and Bevan Henry was on hand to finish into top corner.

Athletic were well on top and Henry added another goal to his tally after Ashton Peterson had a strike at goal.

A Pelican defender failed to clear and Henry was on hand again to half-volley into bottom corner to make it 2-0.

In the second half Pelican picked up the pace and scored two goals in quick succession to level the scores.

With eight minutes remaining Athletic took the lead again this time a screamer from Cameron MacDonald from 20 yards out into the top corner which gave the Pelican keeper no chance.

The points looked like they were in the bag for Athletic, but the home side had other ideas, heading in from a cross to equalise with only a couple minutes left to play.

Another good display from the Under-12s, bossing the majority of the game and very unlucky not to take the win back home with them.

Bridlington Rangers 1Boro Under-15s 3Athletic Under-15s travelled to Bridlington to play their Hull Boys Sunday Football League encounter in a match of top-versus-bottom in the league.

Boro started brightly and were unlucky not to score when a Tom Wright free-kick brought a great save from the home keeper.

Athletic then forced several corners, which the home side defended well, Brad Smith heading narrowly wide from one such set-piece.

Bridlington though were causing problems on the counter-attack and took the lead on 28 minutes.

Kane Randerson-Wray, who was starting to run amok on the left for Scarborough, had the next chance for Boro when he beat off two challenges only to see the keeper pull off another great save.

Randerson-Wray did find the net for the equaliser in the last minute of the half when his powerful strike left the keeper helpless as it arrowed into the bottom corner.

The second half saw Boro on the front foot, creating plenty of chances, notably an unmarked Dan Simpson firing just over from close-range.

The game swung in Boro’s favour with 10 minutes left, first Cameron Anderson got down to save brilliantly to deny the Bridlington striker when through one-on-one to keep the scores level.

Shortly afterwards Boro were awarded a free-kick 25 yards out and when Smith cleverly laid the ball off to Jaydan Hindle his pin-point strike beat the keeper to put Boro 2-1 up.

Two minutes later Hindle tried his luck from range and saw his spectacular strike secure a 3-1 win and three points for the Boro.

Boro Under-16s 0 North Ferriby United 7 In a tight first half Boro competed well and nearly broke the deadlock early on as James Skelton cut in from the left and fired a powerful shot across goal that was well saved.

Tom Cammish made a superb stop to keep the scores level and deny the North Ferriby striker in a one-on-one midway through the half.

Athletic battled hard to get to half-time at 0-0 against the increasingly frustrated Whites.

But after half-time, the pace and power of the visitors proved too much as North Ferriby ran the Athletic juniors ragged and the away side scored seven goals for a convincing win.