BORO JUNIORS: Under-12s ease to 15th win on trot against Stingrays

A Scarborough Athletic Under-12s player attacks during their 8-3 win against Costello Stingrays at the Flamingo Land Stadium on Sunday '''''                                 Pictures by Steve Lilly
A Scarborough Athletic Under-12s player attacks during their 8-3 win against Costello Stingrays at the Flamingo Land Stadium on Sunday ''''' Pictures by Steve Lilly

Scarborough Athletic Under-12s moved a step closer to sealing promotion in the Hull District Youth League with an 8-3 victory over Costello Stingrays at the Flamingo Land Stadium.

After a competitive first few minutes, the deadlock was broken by Charlie Eccles, who continued his run of good form with a goal to put Scarborough 1-0 up.

With a goal under their belt, Scarborough started to move the ball swiftly, linking up with some fabulous one-touch football.

Toby Jones turned in a flowing move with a crisp finish and Alfie Pearce netted his third in as many games.

Charlie Silk smashed home for 4-0 and Scarborough looked in complete control of the tie. Kobi Wilson added the fifth before Costello hit back twice.

As the visitors sensed an opening, Jones’ strike closed the door once again making it 6-2, before Pearce tucked away his second of the game and Harvey Bayes struck home the final goal for the hosts to continue his form in front of goal.

There was time for Costello to score once more, but Scarborough saw the game out with relative ease to make it 15 wins from 15 games.

Scarborough Athletic Under-13s beat Cottingham Rangers 8-1.

Athletic started with confidence, controlling the first half with good passing moves and exciting creativity in the final third to go five goals ahead by half-time.

Cameron MacDonald scored twice, finishing set-pieces with his head on both occasions, the second a well -controlled header into the bottom corner after a good delivery from Rhys Hooson.

Boro quickly added a third goal as Lewis Hunter ran on to a through-ball and lifted it into the top corner.

Hunter then added his second of the game after good build-up play led to a neat slide-rule ball from midfield that was finished with style.

Kene Knowles then scored his 28th goal of the season, picking the ball up in the centre circle and skipping past four Cottingham players before curling into the bottom corner to make it 5-0 to Boro at half-time.

In the second half Athletic again took control of the game and further goals were added as Alfie Kendell fired in from edge of the area.

Frazer Ives then added a seventh with a tidy finish after more good build-up from back to front and Ashton Peterson lobbed the keeper from 25 yards out to make it 8-0.

Cottingham pulled a consolation goal back towards the end of the game.

Joshua Kelly and Lewis Hunter shared the man-of-the-match honours.

Scarborough Athletic Under-17s hosted high-flying East Riding Rangers.

Boro started the stronger of the two teams, going close on five minutes when a Chris Pearson cross was met at the far post by Ryan Hirst, who headed just over.

Shortly after this the visitors took the lead against the run of play.

A free-kick from outside the box was floated into the Boro penalty area, finding the Riding centre-back in space to hit a first time shot which was initially saved by Boro keeper George Hughes, but he could only parry it back out to the defender who slotted home.

On 20 minutes a defensive error allowed the Riding striker in and he coolly rounded the keeper to make it 2-0.

This sparked Athletic into gear with a succession of chances, only to find the visitors defence in top form.

Boro’s persistence was finally rewarded just before half-time when Sam Pattison chased down a through-ball, causing the Riding defender to over hit a back pass to the onrushing keeper and Pattison nipped in to take full advantage and make it 2-1.

The second half was a very tight encounter with both teams standing firm, but East Riding finally put the game beyond Athletic on 80 minutes when Boro failed to clear a cross, allowing the opposition striker to place a shot into the bottom corner and make the score 3-1.

Although Boro stepped up the pressure again in the final 10 minutes, they were unable to find a way past a well organised East Riding defence, who stood firm to see out the game with a 3-1 win.

Scarborough Athletic Under-16s won 4-2 at 10-man Driffield.

Boro took the lead midway through the half when George Bramham scored from close-range after Jaydan Hindle’s pull back.

Barely a minute later it was 2-0 when Tom Wright turned swiftly 25 yards out and deftly floated the ball over the marooned keeper.

Driffield pulled a goal back right on half-time.

Boro restored their two-goal advantage immediately after the break when Driffield failed to clear their lines and Dan Simpson raced through to slot past the advancing keeper for 3-1.

Wright scored his second and Boro’s fourth following up after Hindle had hit the post.

Driffield completed the scoring with the last kick of the match.

Victoria Dock Rangers visited Scarborough Athletic Under-15s.

In a fairly even first half it was Rangers who took the lead when a long ball caused confusion in the Boro defence and the striker poked home.

In the second half Boro dominated and got a deserved equaliser.

A deep ball into the box from Jensen Bradbury found Ted Edwards, who lofted the ball to the far post for Aidan Crawford to bundle home.

Boro pushed for the winner, Aaron Holdsworth and Olly Pulford going close.

However, with not long left it was Rangers who got the winner against the run of play.

A lucky deflection played their forward clean through and he made no mistake with the finish.

Full-back Max Wright earned man of the match for a solid display.

Scarborough Athletic Under-14s endured a tough afternoon at Pelican United, with Freddie Lockey scoring the only goal for Boro as they went down 8-1 to the league leaders.

Scarborough Athletic U14s AFC beat Pelican Rangers 5-1 to stay top of the Drypool division.