BORO JUNIORS: Under-12s smack 18 past Tigers in cup win

A Scarborough Athletic Under-12s player fires past the Cumbrian Tigers keeper during their 18-2 win at the Flamingo Land Stadium
A Scarborough Athletic Under-12s player fires past the Cumbrian Tigers keeper during their 18-2 win at the Flamingo Land Stadium

Scarborough Athletic Under-12s moved through to the next round of the Knockout Cup with a straightforward 18-2 victory over Cumbrian Tigers at the Flamingo Land Stadium

Goals flowed throughout as Scarborough dominated possession and created chances at will.

Kobi Wilson opened the scoring early in the first half, continuing his run of scoring in every game so far this year.

Harley Adams made it 2-0 from the penalty spot after winning the spot-kick himself, and Charlie Eccles bagged a double to make it four.

Wilson added another before Bailey Bennett and Lucas Hastie both opened their account for the season.

Harvey Bayes struck for 8-0 before the visitors hit back with a fine left-footed finish.

Further goals were chalked up by Toby Jones (4), Harley Dawson (3), Harvey Bayes (1), Billy Perry (1) and Mikey Linton, whose fine header found the back of the net for his first of the campaign.

Cumbrian Tigers managed a fine consolation with a stunning free-kick just before the final whistle, but Boro ran out comfortable victors.

Scarborough Athletic Under-16s entertained Hull Kingston Tigers in their League Cup encounter and these two sides served up a real thriller.

Boro started well and three minutes in Zam Deans curled a left-footer into the top corner beyond the despairing dive of the Tigers keeper to put the home side 1-0 up.

Soon afterwards Jaydan Hindle was set up by Nathan Vidler, but his close-range effort was well saved by he Tigers keeper.

Tigers were coming into the game and midway through the half they were level with a well-worked equaliser.

Boro came nearest to taking the lead before the break when Vidler’s shot struck the upright and was cleared to safety.

Deans put Boro back in front early in the second half with a hotly-disputed goal when the keeper appeared to spill the ball over his own goal line.

The referee awarded the goal and Boro were back in front at 2-1.

Jake Baldwin, deputising in the Boro goal, made one outstanding save to palm away a strike heading for the top corner, but with virtually the last kick of normal time the Tigers equalised, when the initial shot hit the post the Tigers striker responded quicker than the home defence and gleefully fired in from close-range.

And so to extra-time, once again Boro took the lead with a tremendous solo goal from Dan Simpson, who beat off several defenders and fired past the advancing keeper from a narrow angle for 3-2.

Again a very determined Tigers team came back and levelled at 3-3 with a well-struck free-kick.

With no more goals, this brought about the excitement of the penalty shoot-out.

After the statutory five penalties each the scores were still tied at 3-3 with Baldwin making one excellent save.

The first penalties each side had in sudden-death were both scored.

Then Baldwin dived to his right to superbly save the seventh Tigers spot-kick.

Tom Wright stepped up and coolly slotted the deciding penalty past the keeper to fire Boro into the next round 5-4 on penalties.