BORO JUNIORS: Under-15s share the spoils after six-goal thriller

Scarborough Athletic's junior sides were out in action on Sunday.

By The Newsroom
Friday, 24th March 2017, 12:05 pm
Updated Saturday, 25th March 2017, 10:44 am
Boro juniors round up
Boro juniors round up



Scarborough Athletic Under-15s entertained Hull Kingston Tigers in their Hull District Youth Football League encounter and shared the spoils in a six-goal thriller.

Sign up to our daily The Scarborough News Today newsletter

Boro were soon on the front foot and had the first effort on goal when Brad Smith set up Jake Standing, but his strike was narrowly off target.

Tom Wright then cut inside from the left, but the keeper got down well to save.

Tigers were having chances of their own and a long-range strike left Cameron Anderson in the Boro goal stranded as it bounced off the top of the home bar and away.

Dan Simpson was beginning to have an influence on the game and his cross found an unmarked Jaydan Hindle, but he headed narrowly wide.

Boro went 1-0 up midway through the half when George Bramham sent Dan Simpson away on the right and he beat off a challenge and fired in a rasping drive to beat the keeper at his near post.

In a game that was to ened-to-end throughout, Boro’s lead didn’t last long and after Finlay Marsh had cleared the initial danger, the ball eventually fell to the Tigers striker who shot through a crowd for 1-1.

The Tigers were on the prowl and both Harry Coldbeck and Nathan Parker had to be alert on more than one occasion to intercept and the scores remained level at the half-time whistle.

The visitors took the lead 10 minutes into the second half with a well taken goal.

Not for the first time this season, Boro rolled up their sleeves, Zam Deans having the next chance for the home team, the keeper saving well from his close-range effort.

Boro got back on level terms when Simpson again ran amok on the right and his ball into the box eventually fell to Jake Baldwin, who hammered in from close range.

With 15 minutes to go the Tigers won a free-kick in the Boro half which wasn’t cleared and once again the away side took the lead for a 3-2 lead.

Boro switched to a 3-4-3 formation in search of an equaliser and threw everything at the Tigers defence, a Lewis McGrath through-ball finding Kane Randerson-Wray, who beat off a couple of challenges and slid the ball past the advancing keeper, only to see a couple of defenders between them somehow clear the ball on the line.

Next up a Deans cross found its way to Hindle and his strike cannoned off the upright and away to safety.

Just as it looked as though the Tigers were going to take the points with a couple of minutes remaining, Simpson’s good work set up Hindle, whose close-range finish found the back of the net for the equaliser to finish things off at 3-3.



Scarborough Athletic Under-16s travelled to St Mary’s Academy to play their Hull District Youth Football League fixture against Hall Road Rangers as they looked to avenge the 1-0 defeat they suffered at home earlier in the season.

Boro started with the bit between their teeth and within the first 10 minutes carved out chance after chance but couldn’t find the net.

Tom Collins was unlucky not to break the deadlock on a couple of occasions, and two fine efforts in close succession from the lively James Skelton both came back off the woodwork following great work from Owen Wilson.

Hall Road then began to get a foothold in the latter stages of the first half, but were finding it difficult to breach the Boro back four of Owen Darrell, Tom Bramham, Tom Brackenbury and Aiden Thurston, who were giving little away and limiting Hall Road to long-range efforts.

Both defences held firm with the score remaining 0-0 at the interval.

Boro made four changes at half-time and started the second half as they did the first and soon made it 1-0 when a great move from the back while defending a corner resulted in Dylan Muggeson-Forbes neatly slotting the ball past the advancing keeper.

Boro soon made it 2-0 when another great move down the right ended with Thurston heading in from close-range from a pinpoint Sam Pattison cross.

Scarborough were now piling on the pressure and on the hour-mark were awarded a penalty when Skelton was pulled down inside the box after another tricky run.

He picked himself up and confidently slotted the ball home to make it 3-0.

Boro were now in total control in all areas of the pitch and with the new-look back-four of Matthew Stanley, James Cullen, Jayden Rodgerson and Darrell looking solid and hardworking defensive midfielder Dylan Priestley offering extra protection.

Scarborough soon made it 4-0 and put the game out of the reach of Hall Road when Muggeson-Forbes scored his second of the game with another great finish.

Reo Smith was very unlucky not to extend the lead further, shooting just wide on a couple of occasions.

To their credit, the home side never gave in and created a good chance themselves, only to find Boro keeper Tom Cammish in great form, saving low down to his left hand side.

The Boro defence was finally breached when Hall Road were awarded a penalty with Cullen adjudged to have brought down the attacker.

He soon made up for this from a corner when he towered above the defence to powerfully head Boro 5-1 ahead.

Pattison made it 6-1 at the death with a long-range strike.

A fine all-round display from Boro resulted in a well-deserved three points.



Scarborough Athletic Under-13s hosted Hessle Sporting Cobras in their latest Hull District Youth League fixture.

Both teams struggled to get a foothold in the game in the early stages.

It took a great solo goal from Liam Love to liven the affair up.

Love picked the ball up in his own half and raced down the left wing, cut inside and fired a great shot into the bottom right corner.

This gave Boro the boost they needed and they were soon knocking the ball around well and creating chances.

Ten minutes before the break Love’s powerful goal-bound shot was well blocked by a Hessle defender only for it to fall to Gianluca Mastrolanardo to neatly finish into the corner of the net to put Boro 2-0 up.

Straight from the second half kick-off, a strong Boro attack resulted in Aaron Dixon picking the ball up on the edge of the box and hitting a great strike into the far corner, leaving the keeper no chance.

Boro continued to flood forward looking for a fourth, but a stubborn Hessle defence thwarted them and the game ended with the hosts coming away deserved 3-0 winners.