BORO JUNIORS: Under-16s knocked out of Junior Cup

Scarborough Athletic Under-16s battled hard but were knocked out of the North Riding FA Junior Cup by Northallerton.

By The Newsroom
Thursday, 24th November 2016, 10:28 am
Updated Tuesday, 29th November 2016, 9:27 am
Boro Juniors round-up
Boro Juniors round-up

It was very wet and windy conditions at Bramcote with the pitch very muddy by the end.

Boro Under-16s got off to an excellent start and took an early lead through Aidan Thurston. The home side created some good chances to extend their lead but couldn’t find the killer touch in front of goal.

Northallerton equalised when James Cullen tried to clear a cross which he unfortunately put into the back of his own net for an own goal to make it 1-1

Sign up to our daily The Scarborough News Today newsletter

The visitors stepped up the pressure after this and scored a second goal with a fantastic strike from outside box which found the top corner, giving Boro keeper Tom Cammish no chance.

Still unable to convert chances, Boro were punished again to find themselves 3-1 down just before half-time.

Shortly after the restart Northallerton scored again to make it 4-1.

A great Sam Patterson free-kick gave Athletic some hope but with no luck in front of goal, the score finished 4-2 to Northallerton.

Scarborough Athletic Under-16s have also been boosted by sponsorship from UPM Raflatac.

Manager Mark Priestley said: “It’s fantastic to have the continued support of UPM Raflatac this season.

“To have a local company involved in grassroots football is great and we would all like to thank Neil and his team for backing us again.”

Scarborough Athletic Under-15s visited Mill Lane Wizards in a match up of first versus second in the Hull Boys Sunday Football League and made it a magnificent seven wins on the trot.

Despite the heavy pitch from all the recent rain the game started at a high tempo and the first moment of quality came on four minutes when Will Webb brilliantly put Mill Lane 1-0 up with a thunderous strike from outside the box that arrowed into the top corner and left Cameron Anderson in the Athletic goal with no chance.

This setback galvanised the Athletic boys, who having lost last season’s cup final to Mill Lane were in no mood to allow a repeat, and on 10 minutes Tom Wright played an accurate through-ball to the feet of George Walmsley, who beat off one defender and fired a shot into the bottom corner to equalise.

Within three minutes the game had turned on its head when Zam Deans would not be denied possession on the right hand side, and after fending off what seemed like half the Mill Lane team, played in Nathan Vidler whose finish from a tight angle left the keeper with no chance to put Boro 2-1 up.

Athletic were now playing with a lot of confidence and Brad Smith and then Vidler again went close.

Vidler then beat off a couple of challenges and got to the byline before pulling the ball back for Walmsley, who was denied by the keeper.

Wright then tried his luck from the edge of the box, but again the keeper denied Athletic and the away side led 2-1 at half-time.

With the wind behind them in the the second half, Athletic knew that Mill Lane would come strongly at them.

But it was Boro who had a great opportunity to increase their lead.

Wright and Lewis McGrath had a neat interchange on the left, Wright’s pass found Vidler 10 yards out, but his shot was superbly saved by the keeper.

The rebound fell to Deans, but the keeper made another inspired save.

Soon after Wright was through one-on-one with the keeper and again the keeper made another great save.

Athletic were certainly not having things all their own way and from one Mill Lane corner the striker fired the ball over the bar from very close range, a let off.

Soon after Anderson had to get down to save a goalbound piledriver.

Midway through the half Jaydan Hindle was the next Athletic player to be denied having worked himself a yard of space, but his strike smashed against the post.

Dan Simpson was then fed in by Smith, and after he rounded the keeper in the box he appeared to be upended by the keeper.

Unfortunately for Athletic the referee waved away the penalty claims and pointed for a goal-kick.

From the next attack Athletic were again denied by the upright when Wright’s shot hit the post and then George Bramham was denied as Mill Lane cleared their lines.

But a highly-motivated Athletic were not to be denied and with 10 minutes remaining, Harry Coldbeck found Tom Wright just inside the box his left-foot strike left the keeper stranded to finally put Boro 3-1 up.

In a great team performance, Brad Smith’s work-rate in midfield on a heavy pitch was superb and McGrath, Nathan Parker, Jake Standing and Fin Marsh at the back gave assured performances.

The wet weather wreaked havoc with the rest of Boro’s junior fixtures.

Their Under-12s, Under-13s and Under-14s games were all called off.