BORO JUNIORS: Under-16s roar past Tigers

Lewis McGrath tracks a Hull Kingston Rovers man. Picture by Andy Standing.
Lewis McGrath tracks a Hull Kingston Rovers man. Picture by Andy Standing.

Scarborough Athletic Under-16s started their campaign at The Flamingo Land stadium with a hard-fought 2-1 victory over Hull Kingston Tigers.

The first half was very tight and scrappy at times with few chances of note.

The second half started in dramatic fashion when with Tigers defenders backing off, Tom Wright fired in a 25-yarder to put Boro 1-0 up.

Tigers were level within five minutes when a speculative cross-shot came back off the bar and the striker reacted quickest to slot in.

Boro struck back midway through the half when Zam Deans played in Jaydan Hindle to beat the offside trap and put Boro 2-1 up.

With the wind behind them Tigers were searching for an equaliser but Cameron Anderson in the Boro goal kept them at bay to secure the win.

Scarborough Athletic’s Under-15s visited Pelican Reds in the first division of the Hull Boys Sunday Football League looking to bounce back from last week’s defeat.

Boro kicked into the wind and on a tight pitch there wasn’t much good football played in a half with limited chances, but good persistence from Max Wright and Marcus O’Flanagan led to the ball finding its way to Reuben Staveley, who smashed home at the far post in the 25th minute.

Scarborough started well after the break, defenders Connor Avison and Ted Edwards both having top games, giving the Pelican forwards no time on the ball, this led to lots of pressure at the other end.

Staveley went close for his second, Jake Reeves had a penalty saved and Avison missed with a free header.

Boro got their second, Liam Coulson winning a header which fell to Reeves, the winger smashing home from 25 yards into the bottom corner.

Man of the match went to Coulson.

Boro’s Under-13s won 6-1 against Hessle Rangers.

They took an early lead after a long-range shot from Alfie Kendell was fumbled by the Hessle keeper and was turned into the net by Lewis Hunter.

The lead was short-lived though as a sensational overhead kick by the Hessle centre-forward made it 1-1.

From a patient build-up, Boro took the lead after a cross by Tyson Greening, with Caleb Sheader on hand to fire in.

The lead was increased two minutes later when a weaving run from MacDonald forced a wreckless challenge in the box and he converted from the penalty spot.

Boro added a fourth before half-time when a long-range shot by Josh Kelly was only parried and MacDonald followed up for his second.

After the break, excellent build-up play from the back by Boro led to a ball over the top for MacDonald to run on to, beating the offside trap and complete his hat-trick with a composed finish.

Boro added a sixth after excellent interplay in the middle of the pitch by Jack Louth and Ashton Peterson, a defence splitting through-ball found Ives, who finished well in the bottom corner.

Scarborough Athletic Under-12s got their league campaign underway at Westella & Willerby with a comfortable 9-0 victory.

Alfie Pearce opened the scoring, followed by a sweet strike from Reuben Hartley and a Harley Thornton goal.

Hartley added his second soon after and in the second half the goals continued.

Harley Dawson added the fifth and sixth, Kobi Wilson rounded the keeper for the seventh and Toby Jones notched the final two.