Boro lose out against Whitby

editorial image

Scarborough Athletic completed their pre-season preparatory work with a highly forgettable 1-0 defeat at Whitby Town.

A predictable goal from former Boro man Liam Shepherd separated the sides on a sweltering afternoon at the Turnbull Ground.

There were few highlights from a dour encounter, though both sides showed their battling qualities, as the the derby friendly proved to be a stiff examination for referee Michael Gillespie.

There were positives from Boro, due to the fact that they comfortably matched their opponents from a higher division for every one of the 90 minutes.

They just seemed to lack the penetration and cutting edge in attack against an organised yet dawdling Whitby defence.

Whitby made a more positive start to the fixture, though their three early shots failed to sting the palms of Boro keeper Jason White.

At the other end of the pitch, Gary Bradshaw wriggled himself free of the home back-line, but his scuffed shot was easily held by Shane Bland.

Whitby were stung by an early attacking blow when striker Craig Farrell limped off to be replaced by Steven Snaith.

Must of the progressive play was centred around the Whitby box though, as Boro looked to gain the upper hand.

Blott and Bradshaw linked up neatly and the latter dinked a neat lob just wide of the goal.

Then former Whitby midfielder Jimmy Beadle rose highest in the box and powered a header just past the home upright.

That was all the first half had to offer, with Boro possibly shading things as the teams retreated to the changing rooms.

In contrast, the second period started with a bang for the Blues as it took them just seconds to break the deadlock.

The ball was fed into the path of Shepherd, who was gifted too much space by the Boro defence and he took advantage by rolling a low shot into the bottom corner.

Things got a little worse for Boro when winger Jordan Thewlis was the victim of a rash challenge that led to him trudging off the field with a sore hand.

Scaife almost doubled Whitby’s lead in the moments that followed, but he was brilliantly denied by White’s full-length save.

Boro sub Jimmy Ghaichem showed off his creative powers on the left with a jinking run. His teasing ball into the box picked out the lively Bradshaw, but the striker’s over-head kick lacked the required direction.

On a rare forray, Whitby’s Lee Mason smashed just over the Boro goal, before Bradshaw volleyed a tame effort wide of Whitby’s net.

Things began to heat up in the closing minutes, with Whitby centre-back Kevin Burgess losing his cool.

The burly defender started pushing everybody in a five-metre radius and then barged keeper White into his own goal after the Boro stopped had grasped a corner.

That bizarre episode capped a hugely disappointing afternoon of football, which will hopefully be cast into the pre-season void once the meaningful action starts at Salford next weekend.