Boro lose out at Mossley

editorial image

Scarborough Athletic finished their penultimate game of the Evo-Stik North season on the wrong end of a 1-0 scoreline at Mossley.

Boro dug in on the hills of the peak district, but just lacked the cutting edge to make that all-important breakthrough

There was another reshuffle to the Boro side for the fixture, as Joe Lamplough slotted in at centre-back, Steve Mallory returned to the midfield and Ryan Blott took a berth in attack.

Lamplough’s central defensive partner Dean Lisles had to do a touch of tidying up in the first minute when he nipped the ball off Godwin Abadaki’s toe when the pacy attacker was through on Matt Glennon’s goal.

Mallory was also heavily involved after his return from illness, grazing the post and then driving just wide of the other upright. These efforts sandwiched an Eddy Birch header that was also off target.

Lamplough’s evening came to an end after just 35 minutes, as he was taken off after stretching for the ball, Tom McNamee replaced him in the heart of the defence.

The first period began to tail off in the latter stages, though Boro almost finished it with a bang.

Niall Flint was far too quick for keeper Will Jones, he poked the ball past him and whipped in a cross from out wide, the lumbering Mossley stopper felling him in the process.

Referee Mark Dwyer allowed play to go on as the ball fell for Mallory, but his low drive rebounded to safety off Blott as it arrowed towards the net.

After a very slow start to the second half, Boro managed to cut their way through the home defence on the hour.

Dave Merris’ shot squirmed into the path of Birch inside the box, but he scuffed his strike straight at the keeper.

Chris Bolder and Callum Robinson came on, as boss Steve Kittrick tried to inject a bit of wisdom and pace in the closing moments.

But, after absorbing a lot of pressure, Mossley began to feel their way forward.

With just 12 minutes left on the clock, burly striker Andy Keogh kept his nerve from eight yards out to neatly convert a corner and give the hosts the advantage.

Things got worse for Boro minutes later when sub Robinson crashed into Mossley defender Liam Baker and went down holding his face. The striker did get back to his feet, but he had to head back to the bench, leaving Boro with 10 men.

This ruled out any late leveller for Boro, despite Lisles being thrown in up top, as Mossley used their game management to kill off the dying seconds of the game.