Boro’s day to forget

editorial image

Scarborough Athletic had an afternoon to forget in Chasetown as they finished with nine men and a 4-0 defeat.

Defenders Andy Milne and Steve Ridley were both dismissed for two bookings, capping an abysmal day in the West Midlands.

Boro started the game without the experience of Paul Foot, though striker Gary Bradshaw returned to boost the attack.

Rudy Funk’s men made a shaky start, as Nick Wellecombe looped an early shot over the bar, then keeper Jason White fumbled a cross, fortunately though Chris Bolder was there to clear.

Chasetown probably shaded the opening exchanges, so it was no surprise when they took the lead in the 23rd minute - though the fashion of the goal was quite bizarre.

A nothing ball was lumped into the Boro box and full-back Ridley rose to head over White and into his own net.

Things got worse minutes later when Pete Davidson broke his collar bone, Jimmy Beadle taking his place in attack.

Boro soon began to battle their way back into the game, though chances were at a premium.

Beadle collected a Liam Shepherd pull-back on the edge of the box, but he scuffed his effort away from goal.

The visitors did go closer though when the ball broke to Bolder, his low shot striking the foot of the post.

That was the final highlight of a battling first half, that closed with Milne receiving his first yellow card for a rash foul on the left touchline.

Milne didn’t last much longer when the second period began as he was given his second booking for taking down Jazz Luckie, who was played in on goal.

The resulting free-kick from Lee Butler was tipped away by White.

White was left stranded a few minutes later when Dan Bragoli picked the ball up on the edge of the area, but his weak shot was sliced to safety.

Things continued to get worse and worse for Boro after this, starting with an injury to Bolder, which resulted in him being withdrawn and replaced by Ryan Blott.

Ridley was then handed a second yellow card when he crudely ended a dancing run from Ramone Stephens inside the box. This left Boro with just the nine men and handed Chasetown a second goal, Simon Brown converting the penalty.

That wasn’t the final spot-kick of the game as Matty Plummer was adjudged to have pulled back Lee Butler in the box. Brown smashing home his second, despite White getting a hand to it.

The salt was rubbed further into the Boro wounds in the final minute when Butler scored straight from a corner to make it 4-0.

Things erupted seconds after the final whistle when all 22 players and both benches were involved in a bout of handbags.

This completed a terrible afternoon for Athletic, who never really looked at the races. It also leaves Funk’s men with an uphill task if they are to achieve their holy grail of a spot in the end of season play-offs.