Boro’s penalty heartache

editorial image

Scarborough Athletic crashed out of the FA Cup on Wednesday night, suffering a penalty shoot-out nightmare in the replay at Penrith.

Ten-man Boro were defeated 4-3 from the spot in the second qualifying round of the competition after a gruelling battle.

Things looked rosy for Boro when they led 2-1 at the break, but Northern League first division side Penrith hit back, aided by the sending off of sub Tom Davie, to take the game into extra-time and then on to the spot-kicks.

Coach John Reed was proud of the Athletic players, who gave their all over the 120 minutes.

He said: “The lads gave everything and the support was unbelievable on the night from the 60 or 70 fans who made the long journey.

“The main problem was the fact that the referee gave us nothing all night, the great example of that was the sending off of Tom Davie.

“For his second yellow card he made a great tackle right in front of our bench, which was no way a booking.

“It is disappointing and frustrating because we had chances to win the game.”

Boro fell behind early on, but they soon hit back when some neat play between Ryan Blott and Ryan Williams freed up Pete Davidson to tuck the ball home.

Gary Bradshaw took advantage of a slip to make the score 2-1 at the interval.

Penrith struck straight back after the break when a series of unfortunate events allowed Phil Storey in to score.

Chances followed with Bradshaw going close with a header, while at the other end Penrith twice struck the woodwork.

Bradshaw and defender Sam Denton limped off and the departure of Davie made things worse for Boro as the game headed to penalties.

Lewis Clarkson scored Boro’s first, though after Penrith equalised Matty Plummer struck the bar with the second.

Chris Bolder saw his saved and Penrith took it to 3-1, only for Ryan Williams to trim things back to 3-2.

A miss from Penrith followed and Bryan Hughes levelled things up, but the final home penalty taker held his nerve and the Cumbrians moved through to play Bradford Park Avenue in the next round.