Boro sign off with home defeat

Scarborough Athletic wrapped up their home fixtures with a decidedly dour 1-0 defeat against Lancaster City.

Sunday, 17th April 2016, 10:15 am
Updated Sunday, 17th April 2016, 10:22 am
Boro report

People often tag games at this stage of the year as end-of-season, but this terrible showing from both sides took this to new levels.

There was one true chance in the full 90 minutes of football and Lancaster took it to grab the three-point haul.

But barring that, if you were trying to squeeze out a highlights package from the game, you'd be looking at around eight seconds of action.

Sign up to our daily The Scarborough News Today newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Boro report

Boro had mixed news going into the fixture, as keeper Matt Glennon returned to the line-up, while defender Steve Mallory was an absentee.

Mallory, who had misses last weekend's trip to Lancaster, was still struggling from the effects of a flu bug in his family, so Tom McNamee had to deputise in the middle of the defence alongside Dean Lisles.

Veteran stopper Glennon looked commanding from the beginning, talking his back-line through the game and catching everything that came anywhere near his six-yard area.

He may have expected a busy first period as Boro had the gusting wind in their faces, but the expected barrage didn't happen.

Boro report

The only action that the 411 fans were treated to was a shot from Lancaster striker Craig Carney that was comfortably gathered by the Boro keeper.

There was no sign of any gain in momentum when the second half began, as the dreary activity continued to be focused around the middle of a boggy park.

Then, finally, something happened, but it sadly came at the wrong end of the park.

Lancaster broke through the middle and Carney glided through a non-existent defence to slot the visitors into the lead.

Boro's management team rung the changes after this in a bid to find something in the game, with Ryan Blott and Joe Lamplough being thrown onto the pitch.

Blott's arrival did give Boro a focal point in their attack, as the previous incumbents had offered little or nothing.

He flicked a header wide of the target within seconds of coming on and sparked a small flurry of action with 10 minutes remaining.

The ball was worked into Eddy Birch on the edge of the box, his low shot was pushed into Niall Flint's path, but the attacker sent the rebound well wide of the post.

That was that for an awful 90 minutes of action and Boro's home campaign. Hopefully things will improve on the road in Athletic's final three outings of the season.