Boro sign off with Whitby win

Boro news
Boro news

Scarborough Athletic completed their pre-season preparations on Saturday afternoon with a composed 4-3 win at Whitby Town.

The East Coast derby victory provides Boro with the perfect tonic as they make the step into Evo-Stik South action at Kidsgrove on Saturday.

Boro assistant manager Darren France was pleased with the display.

France said: “We had to give everyone a last 45 minutes before our bread and butter starts.

“I think the score flattered Whitby a bit, when we were at 3-1 I think we could have gone on and scored a few more.

“It is roll your sleeves up time now, everyone has to fight for their places because the whole thing starts for real now.”

Former Hull City striker Lewis Clarkson gave Boro the perfect start with two early goals and Boro boss Funk is keen to see more of the youngster.

“It is the first glance we have had of Lewis and he has impressed us a lot,” Funk said.

“We wanted to get him involved in a game that means something, you can’t get better than a derby against a strong Whitby side.

“His two finishes were outstanding, but he ran the line superbly as well.

“We are sitting down and having a chat with him and Ben Middleton from York City. They are two very talented young individuals who could offer us another dimension.”

Things didn’t move away to the most positive of starts for Boro as they fell behind after just 90 seconds of play.

Nathan Mulligan whipped in a free-kick and Craig Farrell’s glancing flick gave Boro’s debutant keeper Jack Bentley no chance.

The signs were good though as attackers Clarkson and Josh Greening were giving an experienced home defence a torrid time.

Greening was played clean through on keeper Shane Bland, but the Whitby stopper got a hand to his lob and diverted it to safety.

Boro’s leveller did arrive soon after when Clarkson again found some space inside the home defence and he converted with a neat finish.

Funk’s men were given another scare when Adam Rundle angled a shot from distance just past Bentley’s post.

But there was much more composure at the other end when Bryan Hughes picked the lock of the Whitby back-line and Clarkson notched his second.

That was enough of the highlights for the first period, though there was some action during the interval as Boro began to ring the changes.

Ryan Blott, Tony Hackworth and Steve Ridley arrived, with the former pairing continuing to press Whitby back with more intricate play.

Hackworth saw his shot saved after a swift break and then Blott was denied by Bland after a scramble.

Whitby were unlucky not to level though when Collishaw hooked Farrell’s shot from underneath the bar.

It was Boro who extended their lead though, Hackworth crossing, Blott dummying and Greening slotting home.

The goals continued to flow, with Whitby launching a sharp fightback, helped by a touch of shaky defending.

Sub Steve Snaith trimmed the advantage with a close-range finish and then a sloppy period at the back allowed Shane Henry in to net.

Whitby possibly could have edged ahead when the ball was whipped right across the face of the Boro goal, but in the end it was Boro who snatched the win.

James Bennett played a delightful one-two with Blott to slice through the Whitby defence and he kept his nerve to pick out the bottom corner, wrapping up a confidence-boosting win.