Boro slip to defeat at Kendal

Scarborough Athletic returned from a lengthy Tuesday night trip to Kendal Town on the wrong end of a 1-0 scoreline.

Tuesday, 5th April 2016, 8:38 pm
Updated Tuesday, 5th April 2016, 8:46 pm
Boro news

Despite playing some sweet football throughout a entertaining encounter, Boro were just unable to slice through the hosting Mintcakes.

Both sides flew out of the blocks, despite the game taking place on a heavily cut-up Kendal surface.

Striker Niall Flint looked sharp from the off and it took him just three minutes before he stretched his legs into the Kendal area and smashed into the side-netting.

Things took a turn for the worse just a few minutes later when Kendal whipped a run-of-the-mill ball into the box and an unmarked Alex Newby arched the ball over a static Max Dearnley.

Boro were stunned by this, but they soon began to regather their thoughts and push back up the field.

Flint was unlucky not to level when he spun on a Jamie Price free-kick and smacked his shot against the bar.

The pace of Newby was always a poser though, the frontman sprinting through on Dearnley, who got down to save well.

Boro had their own pace merchant in Flint, who almost scored one of the goals of the season after 26 minutes.

The youngster cut in through four challenges on the right, but his low effort was tipped away by keeper Chris Thompson.

Boro continued to switch through the gears, as Jamie Forrester saw his shot pushed away, then Steve Mallory's free-kick was held by Thompson.

Right on the interval, Blott was played in over the top, but he sliced his shot high and wide.

There was no swing in possession when the second half got underway.

Boro continued to pick away at the Kendal defence, but there was no chink in the armour.

The visitors also had to keep the eye on the raiding Newby, who with Kendal's first chance of the second period, drove just over the bar.

Boro thought that they had finally broken through when Flint charged into the box and went down under Ben Thomas' challenge, but the referee was unimpressed.

Flint then had an effort blocked on the penalty spot and seconds later Paul Robson saw his deflected effort sail just wide of the far post.

The legs Boro legs seemed to fade in the final moments, just when the big push was required.

They did create one huge opening right on the full-time whistle, but sub Glenn Matthews had his shot blocked by a sea of Kendal players on the line.