Boro slip up at home to Radcliffe

Scarborough Athletic's magnificent home run came to an end on Saturday when they were shocked by lowly Radcliffe Borough.

Saturday, 10th December 2016, 3:52 pm
Updated Wednesday, 14th December 2016, 12:35 pm
Boro report

Boro only turned up in spells as the Manchester-based outfit claimed the 3-1 win in relatively comfortable fashion.

The first half of the game was a complete non-event, the only action came in the second minute when visiting Radcliffe took the lead.

With the first attack of the fixture, Raul Correia was given too much time to swivel in the box and plant a low shot into the bottom corner.

Boro tried to respond to this early blow, but their attacking play was a touch rushed and panicky.

Adam Bolder soon marauded onto a ball into the box, but his snatched shot rolled wide.

Radcliffe underlined their trait of being dangerous on the counter when Jordan Porter was forced to make a point-blank save from Correia's snap-shot.

Boro came within a hair's breadth of levelling just before the half-hour when a good move picked out Cameron Murray in the box, but his scuffed effort hit the post and was hacked to safety.

They also had a useful shout for a penalty soon after when Matty Turnbull looked to have been held as he tried to get onto a Bolder set-piece. Frustratingly for Boro, the referee wasn't convinced.

The hosts looked rejuvenated after the team-talk from Steve Kittrick and Chris Bolder, they were also boosted further by the arrival from the bench of Craig Nelthorpe, who came on for a pedestrian Lamin Colley.

Cameron Murray was unlucky twice after squirming free in the box.

He wasn't to be denied for a third time though, the attacker poking home from a corner just minutes into the new half.

Radcliffe came roaring back. Elliot Rokka's drive was held by Porter, Frank Van Gils then went one better, but his strike crashed against the post.

Van Gils got it right from his next attempt after 66 minutes, smartly rolling home a rebound after Hindle's drive had clattered off the far upright.

Sub Nelthorpe was given two good opportunities in the latter stages, with Boro pushing on for another equaliser.

The raiding Benny Igiehon picked him out on the edge of the box, but his drive was high and wide.

Then, after more good hustling from Igiehon in the box, he was presented with the ball with keeper Taohg Ryan grounded. The story was the same though and the ball sailed into the crowd.

Boro continued to push as time ticked on, throwing on Jake Day to add to their attacking threat, but they did almost everything but score.

That was something that Radcliffe managed deep into injury-time.

Turnbull was caught on the ball and Van Gils turned Ellis Humble inside out before rolling home and capping an awful afternoon.