Boro slip out of Doodson Trophy

editorial image

Scarborough Athletic made their exit from the Doodson Sport Trophy on Tuesday night when they were overpowered by Farsley at Queensgate.

Boro were beaten by a 2-0 scoreline in the league cup, their fourth consecutive loss in all competitions.

There were few positives for the 133 fans to inhale, one of these plusses was the opportunity for joint-bosses Bryan Hughes and Paul Foot to give valuable minutes to a number of fringe or returning players.

These changes may have been rung, but Boro still fielded a strong line-up, which included the experience of Hughes in the middle of midfield.

The hosts started well, with Hughes, Ryan Williams and Gary Bradshaw linking up neatly in the attacking third.

It was Farsley who had the penetration though, their first opportunity arriving just a few moments in when Jason White held a towering header from James Riley.

The Boro keeper then maintained his impressive start to the tie when he gathered a sweet drive from Aiden Savory.

The deadlock was shattered with 10 minutes on the clock by a piece of individual brilliance.

Luke Porritt collected in the middle of the park and set off on a merry dance through a number of challenges before beating the weak hand of White.

Savory could have added to Farsley’s lead minutes later, but he lofted an effort well over the bar.

Boro then launched their first real attack, which concluded when Nathan Evans’ low shot seemed to strike a Farsley arm. The referee turned his back on the penalty appeals.

Farsley’s response was swift when Savory rolled home a Josh Grant ball from the left that Boro failed to cut out.

Savory then had another low shot saved by the feet of White, Lewis Nightingale crashing the rebound into the car-park.

Boro finished the half with a little more positivity, as Evans’ low shot was tipped away by Jake Lofthouse.

That mood continued after the break and Boro almost trimmed the advantage when Hughes’ low drive hit the body of the Farsley keeper and bounced away.

The action died off after this, as Boro tried to close down their opponents’ attacking threat, while Athletic searched for success on the left.

Beadle - playing at centre-back - was presented with a useful chance when he rose onto a free-kick in the box, but he planted his header firmly over the bar.

By this point Boro had thrown on Ryan Blott in attack as they desperately scrambled for a lifeline.

One wasn’t forthcoming though and the game finished with a whimper, caused mainly the ego of referee Darren Whatling.

The official stopped and started the game without reason, killing off a game that was already dying.