Boro slip to Ossett loss

Ossett just doesn’t seem to be a happy hunting ground for Scarborough Athletic.

Having slipped up twice in the little West Yorkshire town last season, things didn’t get any easier on Tuesday night.

Ossett Town may not have controlled the fixture, or even created half as many chances, but former Boro coach John Reed’s side left for home with a 2-0 win and all three points.

Athletic set off back down the motorway with nothing but frustration.

Goals are the priceless commodity in football, but sadly they are currently lacking from Boro’s game.

The energy and the buzz was there, as Boro gave the hosts the total run-around for much of the 90 minutes.

But a total breakdown in the final third allowed Ossett on the path to victory.

Spurred on by the disappointment of Saturday’s draw at Prescot, Boro set off at 100mph, with the big men of Alex Peterson and Tom Corner leading the attack.

It was Corner who had the first real opportunity when he forced his way through two challenges and got away a deflected shot, which looped up over keeper Tom Morgan and bounced just wide.

Peterson then flicked a Corner cross at goal, but Morgan gathered at the second attempt.

Boro were clearly controlling the proceedings, but Ossett centre-back Tyrone Gay was proving to be a one-man defensive wall that the hosts struggled to get around.

But as the half looked to be petering out badly, it was Gay who showed his qualities at the other end.

When Boro failed to deal with a free-kick into the box, Gay rose and looped a header over Rob Zand and into the back of the net.

Boro almost responded immediately, but having spun on a sixpence, Peterson cvrashed a half-volley inches over the bar.

Having listened to the calming half-time words of Bryan Hughes and Paul Foot, Boro started the second half with a bang.

And as Tom Corner went close with two great chances it seemed that the equalising goal was nothng but a formality.

But as the time ticked on the angst grew among Boro’s players, with panic creeping into their game.

Gaps began opening up at the back as the fixture became more stretched, and Nathan Curtis crept into one of these cracks, shuddering the bar with a sweetly-struck drive.

Sub Dominic Rowe saw a curling effort palmed away by the keeper and then Peterson had his shirt tugged while trying to find his way onto Bradshaw’s ball into the box.

By this point Hughes himself had taken his place on the pitch in a bid to open up the Ossett back-line.

But in the end it was Boro who parted in the closing moments when Nathan Curtis pulled the trigger with a delighful volley that gave Zand no hope.

Boro had the odd sniff after this, but Ossett clung on to a hard-fought victory.