Boro slip to third straight loss

editorial image

Scarborough Athletic’s slip in form continued on Tuesday night as they lost 2-1 at Mickleover in the Evo-Stik Premier.

Rudy Funk’s men did show an improved performance, but they still remained pointless on a drenched East Midlands evening.

Boro started the game in disarray. With Andy Milne and David Brown stuck in traffic, Matty Plummer had to slot into the middle of defence and Ben Middleton moved into the right-back role.

Jimmy Beadle’s return to the club saw him take up a position in attack alongside Ryan Blott.

The vistors were stung by a very early blow when former Derby County man Chris Palmer let fly from 20 yards. Jason White must have though it was going wide, as he allowed it to arrow straight into his bottom corner.

Beadle’s first input was to pick up a harsh booking for one of his signature tough tackles, the referee clearly not taking the saturated surface into account.

White was then the victim of a strong challenge from a free-kick, leaving him dazed on the sodden turf for five minutes.

He was still clearly stunned when a Palmer corner was soon swung in and Romaine Graham forced the ball through his grasp.

Boro hit back immediately, with Tom Davie cutting in from the left and drilling a deflected shot past Chris Martin.

Rudy Funk’s men probably had the better of the closing first half minutes, but they failed to level matters.

Blott and Davidson both fired wide, while the rasping efforts of Davie and Beadle were kept out by Martin.

Blott was sent in by Beadle when the new period got underway, but his shot was blocked by the slide of Liam Walshe.

The game began to descend after this with the hammering rain making any atractive play impossible.

A number of bookings followed, though ex-Burton man Aaron Webster managed a bit of quality when his swirling free-kick was tipped away by White.

Funk rolled the dice when throwing on Bryan Hughes and David Brown for the injured duo of Steve Ridley and Blott.

But by that time the game had all-but turned into a dampened farce.

Boro may have required the late goal, but in fact it was the visitors who spent most of their time defending, with Mickleover comfortably holding on for the points.

In fact Mickleover could have pulled further away, but Karl Demidh and Palmer both spooned over from under the bar.