Boro stung by another draw

editorial image

There was more late woe for Scarborough Athletic in Tuesday’s chill Maltby night air.

A fortunate last-gasp leveller denied Boro another three-point haul, as the evening’s entertainment closed with the scores poised at 2-2.

This was hard on Rudy Funk’s men, who had controlled their stubborn hosts for much of a scrappy 90 minutes.

Maltby is never an easy place to visit and it was proved that this game was no different.

In freezing conditions, on a mountainous pitch and against footballers more blessed with heart than ability, there was always going to be a challenge.

That was apparent for a Boro side, including returning keeper Arran Reid and with Dave Kemp slotting in at left-back in place of Paddy Miller.

Reid was almost beaten in the first few moments when Maltby sprung the off-side trap, but Adam Houghton poked wide.

Boro had the quality though, with most of it emanating from the marauding Pete Davidson.

His dancing run into the box finally picked out Tony Hackworth, but the ball got stuck under his foot and he failed to nudge into an open goal.

in previous weeks a wealth of goals had poured out of the Boro attackers, but since the enforced winter break this flow seems to have frozen over.

Fortunately though it has been replaced by the finishing of Jimmy Beadle, who pounced to hit his third in three after 90 minutes.

Beadle collected some 30 yards from goal and smashed an unstoppable drive into the top corner to open things up.

Another Beadle thunderbolt a minute later was brilliantly palmed away, then Ryan Blott drilled inches wide of the home woodwork.

Blott was denied a goal when he poked home a rebound just before the break, but it was ruled out for off-side.

Things looked bright though at the interval, despite Kemp having to make way for Henry Sibenge due to injury.

Surprisingly though, Boro were slow out of the blocks when the new half got underway and they paid the price.

With 54 minutes played Maltby converted one of a succession of corners, when Matt Plant rose well to smash his header into the net.

The game ebbed and flowed after this, though Boro seemed to carve the path of the action.

James Bennett flashed the ball over the bar when very handily placed, though Maltby had the odd foray, Ben Langford striking the post with a snap-shot.

Boro reclaimed the advantage with 15 minutes left on the clock. Tommy Adams headed his second in two matches when meeting a Bennett centre.

Blott should have stretched the lead when he was sent through on Jamie Bailey, but the keeper saved well.

Boro began to calm as an attacking threat, seeming content to run the clock down in the corners of the pitch.

In contrast Maltby began to look more frantic, with long balls being arrowed towards the Boro penalty area.

One of these, in the last few seconds of the game handed Maltby their fortunate late equaliser.

Pete Davidson’s pass into the box was deflected onto the toe of Plant, who boomed the ball downfield.

Oliver Graham, who had just arrived as a sub, latched onto the ball as the Boro defence froze. He looped in a shot that could have gone anywhere, but it settled in the back of the Boro net and inflicted more anguish on Funk and his troops.