Boro sweep aside Carlton Town

editorial image

Scarborough Athletic chalked up their fifth win in six games with a 3-0 Evo-Stik South success at Carlton Town.

In similar fashion to recent successes over Sutton Coldfield and Rainworth, Boro flew out of the traps and got their noses in front early on.

Barely a minute had passed when Lewis Clarkson raced on to a long punt from keeper Joe Cracknell and lobbed the ball over the advancing Curtis McDonald for his fifth goal in his last three outings.

Clarkson was inches away from adding a second goal just three minutes later when he flashed a header just wide from a Gary Bradshaw corner.

The travelling contingent did not have to wait long to celebrate another Boro goal.

Clarkson was involved again, holding the ball up intelligently deep in Carlton territory before slipping a pass through to Ryan Blott.

Blott struck the ball confidently across McDonald and into the bottom corner from the right-hand edge of the penalty area for 2-0 with just 14 minutes gone.

The shell-shocked hosts eventually began to liven up mid-way through the opening period and the lively Billy Bennett twice went close to pulling a goal back either side of a Ryan Williams free-kick that flew just wide.

Bradshaw thought he had made it 3-0 in the 33rd minute when he eased Lee Torr out of the way and planted the ball past McDonald but his effort was harshly ruled out for a push on the Carlton centre-half.

The former North Ferriby striker was not to be denied though and 60 seconds later he had the ball in the back of the net from the penalty spot.

Bradshaw failed to convert from the spot on Tuesday night against Rainworth but if he was nervous at the prospect of missing again he didn’t show it as he calmly passed the ball into the bottom corner, sending McDonald the wrong way in the process.

Boro were playing some of their best football of the season and Carlton were struggling to live with the visitors’ front three and the dynamic Williams.

The hosts did create a decent chance just before the break and Cracknell was forced into a sharp save at his near post from a Lee Potts effort.

The second half saw Boro retreat deeper and deeper into their own territory as Carlton dominated possession and pressed hard for a way back into the game.

The first chance following the interval fell to Boro though and substitute Tom Davie should have done better when he stole in around the back to meet a Williams free-kick on the slide.

Cracknell was forced into a superb reflex save from a close-range header from Potts before he was almost embarrassed by a hopeful punt from the halfway line by Bennett.

The Boro custodian misjudged the bounce of the ball and only just recovered in time to stop it from rolling over the line.

Defender Grant Brindley and substitute Sammy MacVicar headed wide when well-placed as Carlton huffed and puffed an bombarded Cracknell’s area with a succession of crosses and corners.

One such delivery into the box saw the hosts go even closer to pulling a goal back when the ball crashed against the underside of the bar and looked suspiciously like it might have bounced down behind the line before it was cleared to safety.

Cracknell then did brilliantly to deny Potts again with another superb block.

Boro did have chances to wrap things up in the closing stages, Blott sending Bradshaw in on goal only for his strike partner to blaze the ball over to bar before Williams cut in from the right and struck the foot of a post.

The Seadogs had, however, already done more than enough to ensure that they would be heading back to Yorkshire with all three points.