Boro throw away lead against Liversedge

James Bennett tries to beat the keeper    Pictures by James Hunter
James Bennett tries to beat the keeper Pictures by James Hunter

Scarborough Athletic finished a frustrating Bank Holiday weekend in disastrous fashion.

Having slipped to defeat on Saturday at Long Eaton, Monday didn’t get much better as Boro let a two-goal lead slip in the final few minutes in a 3-3 home draw against Liversedge.

Robbie Hawkes takes on Liversedge     Pictures by James Hunter

Robbie Hawkes takes on Liversedge Pictures by James Hunter

Athletic were cruising at 3-1 with just 10 minutes left on the clock, when keeper Steve Wilson’s nightmare spell began.

Firstly the former Hull City man dropped the ball at the feet of Gibril Bojang, who smashed home to make it 3-2.

Then, with five minutes remaining, Wilson elected to take down Jared Peltier in the box, who was clearly going nowhere, and Bojang gleefully rolled home the equaliser.

Prior to that Boro had been dominant and they should probably have forced a full settee between the sides, rather than just the two-goal cushion.

After a shaky start when Wilson flapped at a cross and Liversedge frontman Danny Toronczak somehow lifted over from under the bar, Boro grabbed total control of the fixture.

Robbie Hawkes went close soon after when James Bennett’s ball across the box found Robbie Hawkes. He took a touch and lashed in a shot that was bundled off the line.

The pressure followed as Ryan Blott saw a sweetly-struck volley saved, Ollie Ryan flicked a header wide of the target, then another Blott effort was hacked to safety when on a direct path into the bottom corner.

So it was enormously against the run of play when Liversedge grabbed the lead on a rare expedition into the Boro half.

With just a minute of the opening period left, Joe Vagger collected 35 yards from goal and smashed a speculative effort in off the bar.

Boro lacked one thing in the first half, a cutting edge, but that returned when the second 45 minutes got underway.

After a neat interchange with 10 minutes played, Bennett collected on the edge of the box. The midfielder jigged through three challenges and bent the ball into the net.

It took another three minutes for Boro to strike again, with Tony Hackworth clinically sweeping the ball home from 25 yards out.

Boro looked to have wrapped up the game just after the hour when Blott fired into the bottom corner on the turn.

Boss Rudy Funk chose to switch defenders after this, with Dave Kemp coming on for Matty Plummer. Striker Ollie Ryan also made way for Denny Ingram.

Kemp almost made an impression with his attacking prowess just minutes after his arrival, seeing a powerful diving header saved by Liversedge keeper Paul Halgreen.

It was clear though that Boro were easing their foot off the gas and this resulted in catastrophe.

They were exploited at the back by the pace of sub Tate Williams and a pair of glaring errors from Wilson helped to make it a Bank Holiday weekend to forget.