Boro wonder-goals see off Lincoln

editorial image

Scarborough Athletic continued to rubber stamp their Evo-Stik South credentials on New Year’s Day when they produced a workmanlike 2-0 win at home to Lincoln United.

There may not have been many fireworks on a damp and windy afternoon, but Boro still produced plenty of cheer for their supporters.

Boss Rudy Funk was left selecting from the treatment table before kick off, with Liam Shepherd slotting in for the struggling Steve Ridley. Ryan Blott started despite feeling a troublesome hamstring strain.

Any early fears were settled in the very first minute of the game as Ryan Williams produced a moment of brilliance.

The winger lined up a free-kick 25 yards from goal and he bent it gloriously into the top corner of the net past a stunned Craig Turner.

After this promising beginning, the wind turned the fixture into something of a slog in the moments that followed.

The next shot on goal came from Boro keeper Jason White, whose lengthy clearance almost caught out his opposite number.

Fortunately for the hosts there was another piece of brilliance to follow that drove an even bigger wedge between the two sides.

Lincoln conceded possession on their right and after a jinking run, Gary Bradshaw pulled the trigger from the edge of the box and curled the ball into the back of the net.

Despite being pegged back by the gusting conditions, Lincoln still managed to produce a chance or two, the best falling to veteran former Lincoln City centre-back Stuart Reddington, who crashed a header against White’s bar.

As play swung back to the other end, Boro midfielder Pete Davidson burst through on the Lincoln goal, but he fired an effort just past the upright.

That was Davidson’s last action of the game as he departed at the break with a groin injury to be replaced by Bryan Hughes.

With the wind at their backs Boro knew that the tin hats may be needed, but in the end Lincoln’s advantage wasn’t pressed home.

Instead, after an early scare when Sean Cann fired just wide, Boro tried to add to their tally.

Williams whipped in another free-kick from the edge of the area that hit the bar. The rebound fell to Bryan Hughes, but he sliced his effort wide of the target.

Hughes angled a good header just wide of the target, before Lincoln launched a late surge.

Andy Milne cleared Cann’s cross off the line and then Daniel Brooks crashed in a thunderous free-kick that clipped the outside of the post.

Brooks then tested the strength of the crosbar from distance with another powerful set-piece, but it was clearly too little too late for the visitors.