Boro wrap up magnificent seven

editorial image

Midfield maestro Pete Davidson was the star turn as Scarborough Athletic notched a magnificent seven against Hall Road Rangers at Queensgate on Saturday.

Davidson (pictured celebrating with Ollie Banks) dominated the centre of the park on his way to a fine hat-trick of goals, which helped shove the scoreline on to 7-0.

He wasn’t alone though, as the whole Boro team shone in a rampant performance that stretched the lead at the head of the NCEL Premier to four points.

Only one change was made by boss Rudy Funk, with Matty Plummer slotting in the heart of the defence to replace the injured Sam Denton.

A quiet afternoon lay ahead for Plummer and his defensive pals, though in contrast, the Hall Road backline was poised for a strenuous work-out.

This began after just eight seconds when Tony Hackworth wriggled free and hit a shot just over the bar. Soon after James Bennett was denied by the legs of keeper James Fossdyke after a mazy run into the box.

It was the enigmatic Davidson who made the initial breakthrough with six minutes on the clock. He brought a bit of calm to the situation after a melee in the box and slotted the ball beyond the grasp of Fossdyke.

Boro continued to pin back their rivals, with Ryan Blott and Ollie Banks both going close to doubling the advantage.

These efforts sandwiched a strange incident that saw referee Martin Parker fall to the ground in stages. After a quick check-over by Boro physio Karen Hankey he did continue, though he had to be replaced at the break.

Boro had wrapped the game up as a contest by that point, with Hackworth’s goal after 26 minutes driving a cushion between the sides.

The striker neatly nodded Banks’ cross home after a glorious piece of build-up play that sliced through the heart of the Hall Road team.

Hackworth should have added to his tally after another raid by Davidson, but he dallied and his tame shot was saved.

Blott headed over and Bennett saw a shot saved, before the referee blew for half-time, providing Hall Road with a much-needed rest.

Despite Boro’s convincing performance in the first half, frustration was still etched on the face of boss Funk. And during the scoffing of the half-time oranges he let his thoughts be known.

A change was also made, as player assistant-manager Denny Ingram was taken off and Dave Kemp was given an outing at right-back.

Funk’s words seemed to work wonders, as it took just five minutes for the third goal to be scored.

Davidson played in Blott, but his shot was saved by Fossdyke. The rebound fell straight to the boot of Davidson and he made no mistake from 10 yards.

This was the first of three goals in a seven-minute spell of pressure.

Adams added Boro’s fourth of the afternoon when he glanced a header into the corner of the net, then Davidson completed his treble when he applied another tidy finish to another incisive move.

Funk shuffled his pack by withdrawing Adams and Davidson for Robbie Hawkes and Jimmy Beadle. The new additions added some more life to an already buzzing Boro attack.

Blott finally scored his customary goal when the ball found its way to him on the far post and he lashed home a volley.

Banks was then denied by the bar after some delightful interchange play with Hawkes.

More salt was rubbed into the Hall Road wounds just a couple of minutes before the final whistle, as Michal Puddiak took down Blott in the box, earning a second yellow card for his trouble.

Hackworth placed the ball on the spot and smashed his kick beyond the flailing arms of Fossdyke, capping Boro’s second biggest win of the season.