Brilliant Boro batter Lincoln

Ryan Blott struck a hat-trick
Ryan Blott struck a hat-trick

Scarborough Athletic maintained their amazing start to the season on Tuesday night when they swatted aside Lincoln Moorlands at Queensgate.

Boro leapt back to the top of the table after another scintilating performance, which saw them slice through their rivals at will on the way to recording a 5-0 win.

The score would have ticked comfortably into double figures if it wasn’t for the efforts of Lincoln keeper Craig Turner, who had Boro players and fans alike holding their heads in anguish.

Kick-off may have been delayed as the 380 fans queued to grab their place in the ground, but Boro wasted no time in starting the action.

In the very first minute striker Ryan Blott charged clear, only to be denied by the outstretched arms of Turner.

Lincoln actually made a useful start as well, but they found Turner’s opposite number, veteran Steve Wilson in fine form as well.

The former Hull City man made a trio of quick-fire saves to keep Lincoln at bay, ending the visitors’ attacking threat for the opening period.

Boro soon took charge, and with the chances they created it seemed as though an abacus may be needed.

Much of the threat centred around the tricks of winger Robbie Hawkes, the guile of Tony Hackworth and the brilliance of Ryan Blott. Though the endeavor of the Boro midfield also played a huge part.

Hackworth went close after a poor defensive header, managing to lift the ball over the keeper, but it sailed just over the bar.

Tommy Adams was unlucky with a close-range drive and Gaz Clayton fired just over from a Hawkes cross, before the latter finally made the breakthrough with 16 minutes on the clock.

A swift move sparked a huge scramble in the box, which Hawkes pounced to finish in style.

Turner wasn’t keen on being beaten for a second time though, as he held a dinked Clayton free-kick, but striker Blott had other ideas.

Just seconds after bending an effort over the bar, Hackworth delivered a sweet ball into the box and Blott stooped to head home.

The Lincoln keeper returned to his best soon after, saving well from a Pete Davidson effort and a clever Hackworth flick.

Boro managed to wrap the game up as a contest minutes before the interval. Hackworth was slid through on goal and his hard work was rewarded by a superb finish across Turner.

Joel Ramm arrived on the pitch for Clayton at the interval, adding extra verve to Boro’s attacking charge.

Blott added a glorious fourth just eight minutes into the new half, collecting a ball from Hackworth and then smashing it home on the volley.

Boro continued to rain a torrent of shots down on the Lincoln goal, with Adams going close before his substitution for debut boy Tom Claisse. Davidson then saw his shot held after a crafty one-two.

It was a burst from Davidson that led to the fifth and final strike. With Davidson’s run at an end, Ramm took advantage and stroked the ball into the bottom corner.

Despite being unemployed for much of the game, Boro keeper Wilson was still on his game, making a smart save to keep out a diving header by Ben Barber.

The score should have continued to tick on for Boro though, with Hawkes proving unplayable on the left of midfield.

The winger was so unlucky not to have made it six, as two stinging efforts were somehow pushed to safety by the brilliant Turner.

Blott could have also completed a deserved hat-trick, but by that point Boro had already done enough to take the lead in the table, as well as leaving many supporters drooling with admiration.

Boro: Wilson, Hawkes, Clayton (Ramm 46), Milne (Ingram 72), Winter, Plummer, Davidson, Bennett, Hackworth, Blott, Adams (Claisse 59).