Cayton aces edge thriller

Cayton came from behind three times to win 5-4 in a thriller against Kirkbymoorside.

Striker Jack Vernon opened the scoring early on with a neat finish, before Kirbymoorside equalised with a great goal to send the teams in at half time 1-1.

In the second half the game opened up with Kirkby taking the lead before man of the match Alfie Lidgley blasted the ball in from a tight angle to draw Cayton level.

The Moorsiders soon went 3-2 up before Sam Rehill produced the goal of the game with a stunning half volley from well outside the box.

The visitors impressive forward play continued and they were soon back in front.

The last 15 minutes saw Cayton pushing forward and with captain Lidgley causing problems all over the pitch they were rewarded with Jordan Kirk rounding off a good team performance with 2 well taken goals.

Phoenix eased to a 5-1 home win against Scholes Park Raiders.

The hosts were one up early on in the game with Ellis Howley scoring from a good ball from Joe White but it wasn’t long before the teams were back on level terms after a quick break from Raiders.

From the start of the second half it wasn’t long before Phoenix regained their lead, Davis put over a corner which put the Raiders defence under pressure and ex-Raider Alex Malton took advantage and scored from the scramble in the box.

The next goal came from another White and Howley combination down the right, White lining Howley up for a shot which was struck well but fumbled by the keeper which allowed Benny Davis to capitalise and put the home team 3-1 up.

With the home side now brimming with confidence there was some excellent football played right through the team and any Raiders attack was comfortably taken care of, Tom Sutherland putting in an excellent display and leading the back line.

Not long after coming on Ben Rowe put Davis through for his second, striking the ball and put Phoenix into a 4-1 lead.

Davis was rewarded with a hat-trick in the latter stages, the Raiders keeper made a fine save from a Liam Mancrief free-kick but couldn’t hold onto the ball so up popped Davis and put away his third goal of the day.