Cayton hit Edgehill for four to lift League Trophy

Cayton lift the League Trophy. Pictures: Steve Lilly
Cayton lift the League Trophy. Pictures: Steve Lilly

Cayton dominated the majority of an entertaining and feisty League Trophy final as they lifted the silverware following a comfortable 4-0 win at Mill Lane.

Shaun Rennison’s men started slowly but were nearly gifted the lead when Harry Holden’s ludicrous effort from 40 yards was almost allowed to creep in by Edgehill keeper Daz Palmer.

Cayton player-boss Shaun Rennison and captain Mikey Dennis lift the cup

Cayton player-boss Shaun Rennison and captain Mikey Dennis lift the cup

Edgehill looked the brighter in the opening exchanges and should have led moments later when James Webb found himself one-one-one with Cayton keeper Stephen Hill but could only direct a tame header straight into his hands.

Martyn Ferrey also went close moments later with a specualtive effort that flew just wide and shortly after nippy winger Kieron Grzesiowski found himself one-on-one with Hill but could only direct his shot straight at the keeeper.

Edgehill’s failure to take their chances would prove to be their undoing as Cayton started to settle into their passing game and took the lead following their first real move of intent after 20 minutes.

Josh Venner’s cross was turned behind for a corner and Harry Holden headed in unmarked under the bar to hand Cayton the lead against the run of play.

Rennison could have doubled his side’s lead shortly after, but his volley flew harmlessly wide, before the same man and Luke Newbold were shown the first two of many yellow cards by ref George Roberts during a feisty cup tie.

Newbold and Venner both had chances before the break as both sides looked to bag a crucial goal, Edgehill’s Jason Prosser also managing to find his way into the book after a late lunge.

The real turning point of the game came straight after the break as Venner fired Cayton into a 3-0 lead in the space of 10 minutes.

First he collected 25 yards out and was afforded too much time and space before smashing high into the roof of the net, before a lucky deflection sent him through on goal and he calmly lobbed Palmer to make it 3-0 and virtually kill the game off after 55 minutes.

Dave Bell became the fourth player in the book after reacting to a robust challenge from Cayton skipper Michael Dennis moments later as Edgehill chased a way back into the game.

They were to fall even further behind when a neat piece of approach play from Venner fed veteran Steve Roberts, who made no mistake in calmly rolling into the bottom corner for 4-0.

Edgehill were clearly roled by this point and a series of Cayton free-kicks followed before Ferrey talked his way into the book and the petulant Webb was lucky to stay on the field after swiping the legs of sub Curtis Foreman.

Cayton’s win was soured somewhat in the dying embers as player-boss Rennison was shown a second yellow card after an ugly fracas with Edgehill captain Paul I’Anson, who also went into the book.

But Cayton had already done more than enough to secure a deserved win against an Edgehill side who had plenty of the ball but lacked penetration.

Cayton grafted hard as a unit and while it was tough to single anyone out, veteran Steve Roberts, Newbold and youngster Jonathan Read won the midfield battle and pressed the ball superbly for the full 90 minutes.