Cayton see off Flamboro’

editorial image

Cayton Corinthians under-14s kept their unbeaten run going with a home 5-3 victory against a determined Flamborough side.

Cayton came close to scoring twice in the opening five minutes but failed to capitalise on some good forward play by Sean Thornton and Lewis Pickles.

But it was Flamborough who came the closest, with a headed ball striking the cross-bar from a corner on 15 minutes.

Josh Lewis then hit the post for the home side before Thornton found space on the edge of the visitors penalty area to turn and lob the keeper to put Cayton ahead.

Five minutes later, Thornton was on hand again this time to tap in from close-range as the Flamborough goalkeeper spilled a strike from Josh Tweddle.

Refreshed from the half-time break, the visitors hit back with three goals in 13 minutes to go ahead in the game.

However, Jason Flack had other ideas, responding with a headed goal only moments later after Glenn Johnson saw his close-range effort turned behind.

The visitors continued their assault forcing a fine finger-tip save from Josh Brown while Thornton continued to terrorise the opponents’ goal, striking the post with a looping header over the keeper.

With 10 minutes to go, Flack produced a strong forward run with a strike to match to swing the game in Cayton’s favour, but Flamborough continued to threaten, forcing the save of the game from man of the match Brown.

With the very last kick of the game Joel Boyer found the net from 18 yards out as Cayton put the result beyond doubt.

Marcus Mockridge and Lyall Carter also impressed in the Cayton defence.

Holt edged out Phoenix in a seven-goal thriller packed full of incident.

The home side opened the scoring inside the first minute after midfielder Jamie Deyes lobbed the Phoenix keeper.

Holt retained the majority of the possession until mid-way through the first half when Phoenix began to find their form.

Sloppy defending in the Holt penalty area allowed Phoenix to get an equaliser.

Holt however refused to let this affect them and put increasing pressure on the Phoenix defence, passing the ball with precision and accuracy.

A perfectly-placed corner by Dylan Banks allowed captain Joseph Barker to head the ball past the Phoenix keeper to take a 2-1 lead.

Shortly before half-time Phoenix equalised with a well-placed effort that Holt goalkeeper George Roberts could do nothing about.

The second half started with both teams playing good football but neither side able to take a lead.

The breakthrough came for Phoenix and Holt found themselves 3-2 down, on the back foot and needing some magic from somewhere.

The magic came in the form of Holt centre-back Joseph Barker who saw an opportunity from the half-way line and struck the ball with immense power and accuracy that both teams could just watch and admire.

The goal gave Holt the belief they needed to push for a victory.

A corner ball by Dylan Banks found midfielder Jamie Stewart who neatly placed the ball in the back of the net, which turned out to be Holt’s winner.

Phoenix continued to attack for the remainder of the game but Holt held firm for the win.

Man of the match was awarded to Brad Glover for his sheer determination and effective passing skills.