Cayton under-10s spot on in cup win at Eastfield Sports

Burlington Jackdaws v Ayton FC
Burlington Jackdaws v Ayton FC

Cayton Corinthians under-10s won through 4-1 on penalties in their Specsavers League Cup quarter-final at Eastfield Sports.

Both teams produced some sparkling football with great passing and many attacks so it was a great surprise that half- time came with the scores level at 0-0.

Burlington Jackdaws v Ayton FC

Burlington Jackdaws v Ayton FC

The high standard continued into the second half with both keepers being tested and each side finding the woodwork in a dramatic game worthy of the final.

Normal time finished goalless and despite the superb attacking efforts of both sides the defences stood firm and wouldn’t be beaten and the game remained goalless after extra-time so the tie had to go to a penalty shoot-out.

Cayton’s Oliver Wilson, Joshua Smith, Oliver Plant and Jack Drydale all converted their spot-kicks while keeper Ben Chamberlain saved well from a ferocious strike as Corinthians went through 4-1 on penalties.

In the bottom half of the draw, Scalby also secured their spot in the final four with an 8-1 win at Kirkbymoorside.

Burlington Jackdaws v Ayton FC

Burlington Jackdaws v Ayton FC

Max McNiven led the way with a hat-trick, while Reuben Staveley scored twice and Liam Coulson and Connor Avison also notched along with an an own goal.

The two sides then played a league match, which saw the visitors win 9-0.

McNiven was once again on top scoring form with four goals, while Ted Edwards notched a brace, with Avison, Staveley and Josh Edwards all getting one goal each for the visitors.

Holt won 3-2 at Scalby Stags.

The hosts took the lead after five minutes, but Jackson Scarlett’s 25-yard screamer into the top corner levelled the scores.

In the second half, Josh Logue’s 20-yarder made it 2-1, and Scarlett’s low 25-yard shot doubled the visitors’ lead.

Stags pulled a goal back but Holt held on for the win.

Keeper Hamish Steele played well for the victors as did Declan Banks and Ross Pilu.

Scholes Park Raiders under-nines hit top form to claim a double over Kirkbymoorside in their back-to-back league matches at the Moorsiders’ ground.

In the opening match, Daz Winters’ team took the lead when Chris Fenton played a one-two with Joseph Chapman, the former blasting the shot past the Kirkby goalkeeper.

Chapman then set up Finlay Wilson, whose shot from an acute angle put the Raiders in charge at the half-time interval.

The home side gained a foothold in the game by pulling a goal back, but man of the match Fenton soon despatched the Moorsiders’ hopes with a long-range shot that fizzed into the net.

Midfielders James Winters and Alfie Willis impressed for the visitors.

In the second match, Kirkby got off to a flying start with a goal after 30 seconds.

Raiders levelled when Ethan Daley-Smith side-footed his shot in after good build-up.

After the half-time break, the lively Daley-Smith struck again, his shot looping over the Kirkby keeper after Marshall Nock had squared the ball to him.

Man of the match Nock then linked up with Donnie Lee and the former smacked the ball in from the edge of the penalty area to secure the points.

Defenders Harry Groombridge and Matty Balfour impressed for Raiders.

Hunmanby battled well for a 1-1 draw at high-flying Whitby Fishermen’s Society.

Whitby came into this game probably thinking they would add another three points to their already impressive tally in their charge towards the title.

However, Hunmanby had other ideas, and always pressing they managed to find a breakthrough.

The ball found its way to Charlie Wright in the central midfield position who, after beating his opponent, got a good call from Jake Jordan out on the right. His pass was swung out to him and without breaking stride Jordan sent in a deep cross and there racing in at the far post was Jack Grimwood who gleefully took his chance to stab the ball home.

The beginning of the second half carried on in much the same way as the first.

Whitby, sensing the game might be getting away from them pressed harder and with Hunmanby’s defence holding firm it looked like a goal wouldn’t come.

The leveller did come however, a through ball was played into the area where a Hunmanby defender was adjudged to have fouled the attacker when making his challenge.

The penalty was dispatched confidently.

Although Hunmanby goalkeeper Regan Exley was denied a clean sheet, his display earned him the man of the match award.

Hunmanby came away with a point, and it was a measure of how well they played that some felt disappointed they didn’t win.