Cup delight for Boro under-16s

boro under 16s vs driffield dynamos under 16s ''hull boys sunday league cup''boro won 3-1 in extra time
boro under 16s vs driffield dynamos under 16s ''hull boys sunday league cup''boro won 3-1 in extra time

Boro under-16s took on Division One side Driffield Dynamos in the preliminary round of the Hull Boys Sunday League Cup on Sunday at their Clarence Drive ground.

Both teams came out strongly but Athletic took the lead early on with an excellent run by Sam Spivey on the left who played in striker Matty Robinson to knock home.

Driffield then put on the pressure with Rory Skelton, Boro’s keeper making a quality save and then Dynamos hitting the bar.

Tommy Wilson fought well in midfield with Chris Shrimpton and fed in Matty Rowley whose shot just went wide.

Driffield then pushed on and got a free-kick just outside the area on the right wing and Athletic struggled to deal with it as it bounced in the area to give Dynamos their equaliser.

The second half kicked off, and with the wind behind them, Scarborough took charge with three goalmouth scrambles in the first 10 minutes which Driffield only just managed to clear.

Harry Clark then had a good run and chance on goal from his right back position.

Driffield played on the break and it was only due to some superb defending by Kyle Scaife, Bobby Scarborough and Cameron Austwick for Boro that kept them out, with two brilliant goal line clearances by Austwick and Scarborough.

Boro continued to pepper the Driffield goal including a free kick by Will Spencer and a shot by Tyler Richardson after a pass from midfield by Wilson and a header by Shrimpton.

With full-time ending 1-1 it went to extra-time and instantly Boro attacked via a Richardson cross and Spencer leaping up above the Dynamos defence to hit the crossbar.

Athletic played some quality football despite it being so late in the game, with neat interplay between Jordan Shaw, Shrimpton and Rowley.

The second half of extra-time started with penalties looming but Boro pulled a second out of the bag when the hard-working Shaw knocked in at the far post to the relief of the Boro supporters.

With their heads up and only seconds left Matty Robinson then finished the game off with his second of the match.

Both teams played a strong game but Athletic took the plaudits and deserve a lot of credit for battling right to last whistle to get the win and to go through to the next round of the cup.