Dobson hits three as Hunmanby Reserves beat Wasps in nine-goal thrillier

Cameron Dobson, in action for Hunmanby earlier this season against Filey Town
Cameron Dobson, in action for Hunmanby earlier this season against Filey Town

Cameron Dobson hit a hat-trick of stunning goals as Hunmanby United Reserves won 5-4 at home to Westover Wasps Reserves in a Division Three game switched to Oliver's Mount.

Dobson smashed in a cracking long-range free-kick and two thumping shots from 20 yards to set United on the way to victory with Reggie Smith and Kurt Williamson also on target, the latter scoring the crucial fifth goal for the Sands Lane club.

Wasps levelled at 1-1 through an own goal, and made it 2-2 through Rob Whitehead and levelled for a third time through Chris Hannam before United pulled clear to 5-3, Hannam hitting his second late on.

Westover's chances were not helped by the fact that Liam Mintoft was sent off on the hour mark by ref Dave Hudghton.

Sam Turner, in central midfield, was man of the match for Rob McPherson's Wasps team, while United boss Dave Wedge singled out Dobson as star man for the victors.

Sherburn battled back from 2-0 down at a strong Filey Town 3rds team to earn a 2-2 draw.

David Brannan Jnr fired Town in front on the half-hour mark and when Daz Clough, who is the Town first team's leading scorer with 10 this season, added a second with a superb solo goal 15 minutes into the second half it looked as if the villagers were heading for defeat.

Fifteen minutes from time Sherburn got a goal back through sub Gary Tyson's close-range strike, and Matty Whitehall earned his side a point with a fine 25-yard shot into the bottom corner.

Sherburn boss Andy Adamson said: "Steve Parker and Whitehall did very well at centre-back against a very strong Filey team, but our central midfield duo of Harry Walmsley and Rich Malthouse also did very well for us."

Fishburn Park Reserves moved out of the re-election zone with a 4-0 home win against fellow strugglers Scalby Reserves.

The villagers had the better of the first half, but Tommy Day missed their best chances and Park made them pay when Kane Brannick opened the scoring for Carl Oliver's side on 20 minutes.

Shortly after this keeper Tom Manson had to leave the field through injury and midfielder Jez Clifford went between the sticks.

Alex Wiggins added a second for Park in the 47th minute, and he struck again to make it 3-0.

Sixteen-year-old Billy Arnold hit the fourth for Fishburn, who could have had a fifth goal if not for a spectacular save from veteran Clifford, who was praised by his boss Jeff Brader for his display as the stand-in keeper.

Victorious boss Oliver said: "Scalby had chances in the first half but we took the lead and went on from there. The man of the match was shared by left-back Thomas Hawksfield and Richard Fletcher, who was strong at centre-back.

"I would also like to thank the lads who forked the pitch beforehand to make sure the pitch was fit for play."

Brader added: "Our man of the match was Clifford for stepping in as keeper and doing a great job, while teenager Ryan Furnell did well again as a first-half sub."