Eastfield set up Edgehill semi-final after Newlands win


EASTFIELD St James teed up a mouthwatering League Cup semi-final date with Edgehill after beating Newlands 2-0.

Kev David’s men sealed their progression into the last four after a solid display at Filey, netting after just two minutes.



Mark Barber’s fiercely driven free-kick found its way into the bottom corner of Sean Pinder’s net.

The sides were fairly evenly matched for the remainder of the first half and went in at the break at 1-0.

It took until the 65th minute for Eastfield to double their lead.

A nicely curled-in corner was headed past his own keeper by Jason Harrison, making it 2-0.



Newlands fought back but couldn’t find a way past the Eastfield back line and spurned a number of chances when they did - Eastfield keeper Joe Wright forced into action on a couple of occasions.

But it is David’s men who progress. He said: “We played really well. The lads battled hard against a good Newlands side.

“We deserved to win the game in the end though and it sets up a good chance to win some silverware.”

David singled out Barber, Sean Kelly and Danny Price for particular praise.

Newlands boss Shaun Mancrief added: “We had some chances to get back into the game but it wasn’t our day.

“Eastfield were strong though. It was a strong game of football.”

Edgehill scored four second-half goals to see off the challenge of Fishburn Park and confirm their clash against Eastfield.

Steve Clegg’s men struggled to break a defensively minded Fishburn outfit in the first half and the sides went in at the break at 0-0.

But the league leaders found a cutting edge in the second half and went 1-0 after 55 minutes when Martyn Ferrey fired in from the edge of the area.

They extended their lead to 3-0 through goals from Matty Burling and Ricky Greening, before goalkeeper Chris Ferrey netted a penalty to round off the scoring at 4-0.

Ryedale will meet Filey Town in the other semi-final after they beat Cayton 2-0.

Adam Hornby slid in Matty Allison to make it 1-0 after 20 minutes. Allison showing some neat movement to find space in the box.

And Ryedale’s win was confirmed when player-boss John Reed set Allison away.

Allison then fed through for Martin Myers to get Ryedale’s second.

Harry Holden played well for Cayton.