Edgehill and Pier pull clear at the top


THE top two teams, Edgehill and West Pier both won this weekend in what looks set to be an intriguing title battle in the top flight.

Leaders Edgehill recovered from conceding an early goal to claim a 5-1 home triumph against old rivals Filey Town.



Cameron Dobson, who was on top form for the visitors, opened the scoring for Filey with a clinical finish from the edge of the penalty area.

Man of the match Ricky Greening levelled the scores with a low shot that slid underneath the Town keeper.

Former Filey ace Paul Allick headed his side in front just before half-time.

Greening then polished off a superb team move to put Edgehill 3-1 ahead, and then youngster Alex Bowman netted from close-range after fine approach play from Martyn Ferrey to seal the points for the leaders.



Ferrey then blasted in a free-kick to cap the win for Edgehill.

West Pier’s 9-2 win at basement club Fishburn Park kept them in touch with Edgehill.

The hosts opened the scoring after 20 minutes of a game marred by strong winds.

The visitors, who were playing into a strong wind, levelled on the stroke of half-time when Will Jenkinson set up Neil Thomas, who shot home from 18 yards out.



After the interval, a swift double from Paul Provins and a Tommy Barker strike put Pier 4-1 ahead.

Lee Brennan gave Park hope of a revival with a second goal for the hosts 10 minutes from time, but then five goals courtesy of Pier’s super-subs confirmed the win for Andy Spivey’s team.

Provins and Thomas were replace by Mikey Barker and MikeyHartnett, and the duo had an explosive effect. Barker scored three in the final 10 minutes and set up the other two for fellow striker Hartnett in a dramatic finale.

Eastfield St James surged into third place thanks to a stirring comeback in their 5-3 win at Ayton, the visitors having trailed 3-0 at the interval.



Goals from Scott Eccles, Alex Hamilton and Howard Carter put the hosts, who also had a goal disallowed, in control at the break.

The visitors roared back into contention after half-time, with goals from Ady Blake, Matty Drury, Damien Devine, Nathan Till and Nick Hegarty completing the revival for Kev David’s team.

Newlands’ title hopes stuttered with a 3-3 home draw against Ryedale Sports.

Matty Bower opened the scoring after just 10 minutes, cutting in from the left and striking his shot into the top corner of the net.

Paddy Mancrief’s header soon put the home side back on level terms.

Adam Hornby’s header restored the lead for John Reed’s team before half-time.



Five minutes into the second period Chris Rhodes looked to have set the visitors on the road to victory with a fizzing volley into the top corner of the goal.

Newlands refused to buckle, and they pulled a goal back with a close-range finish from Jamie Gallagher, and then Sam Chambers equalised - also from close-range.

Both sides had chances to win it in the final half-hour, but honours remained even.

Chambers and Jonny Manson impressed for Newlands, while Reed praised his entire team for their efforts.

Westover Wasps took a huge step closer to beating the drop from division one with a last-gasp 2-1 win at fellow strugglers Cayton Corinthians.

In the opening 45 minutes, only a few half-chances were created in a tense encounter as these two relegation-battlers locked horns in a six-pointer.

Twenty minutes into the second half, Cayton took the upper hand when Mark Vasey’s header was saved by the Westover keeper, but he was quickest to respond and fired the ball into the net to lift Cayton’s hopes.

The home team were then forced to hang on as Westover bombarded the home goalmouth with a series of shots.

It looked like this defiant rearguard action was paying off but in the 80th minute midfielder Mark Oldroyd levelled for the Wasps, his corner sailing directly into the Cayton net.

Five minutes later a brilliant strike from Daryl Varley secured all three points for the visitors.

Varley, who had been pushed up from his left-back role to left-sided wing-back as Wasps went looking for goals in the final 20 minutes, smashed in an unstoppable volley from the edge of the 18-yard box.

Wasps boss Chris Townsend said: “This was a crucial win for us, and with only four games left to have 19 points in the bag puts us very close to the 24/25-point pre-season target that we have been aiming for to stay up.

“Phil Meads and Tom Clark were excellent in defence for us.”

Youngsters Harry Holden and Tom Sixsmith shone for Cayton.