Edgehill hold on to seal the title


EDGEHILL were crowned Division One champions on Saturday afternoon after a dramatic league deciding match against West Pier ended in a draw.

Around 300 spectators watched what turned out to be a thrilling encounter between the two sides, with Edgehill, who held a superior goal difference to their division one counterparts, only needing a draw to secure the title.



And it was Edgehill who started on the front foot as they piled the pressure on their opponents.

The league leaders looked to have taken the lead after only 10 minutes when Micky Sellars’ header found the top corner, only for the linesman to rule it out for offside.

Edgehill weren’t to be denied though, and ten minutes later midfielder Ryan Merron’s looping header was controversially judged to have crossed the line by the linesman, much to the anger of Pier manager Andy Spivey (pictured right).

West Pier almost went further behind only five minutes later. Shaun Dodson found himself one on one with Pier keeper Scott Wardman, only to have his effort denied with a fine save.

But the relentless assault by Edgehill proved too much for Pier as Sellars doubled his teams lead on the half hour mark.

Again, West Pier failed to clear their lines, allowing Sellers to calmly lob the goalkeeper from seven yards.

West pier almost got themselves back into the game just before half-time when winger Jamie Bradshaw found himself with Piers’ only meaningful chance of the half.

But Edgehill keeper Jamie Haxby was up to the task, clawing Bradshaw’s effort wide of the post.

Second half and cue the cliché, a game of two halves.

West Pier, knowing they needed a win to snatch the title from their opponents, suddenly sprang into life.

Only three minutes had passed before West Pier got back into the game, courtesy of a finely executed free-kick from Neil Thomas.

His low curling effort evaded the Edgehill defence and nestled beautifully in the bottom corner.

Edgehill suddenly found themselves on the back foot, and 60 minutes Pier were level when Jamie Bradshaw, who stood out for West Pier, delivered a fine cross for Paul Provins to head past Haxby, sending the Pier fans into mass celebration.

As the clock slowly ticked by, chances became few and far between as both teams battled to gain the upper hand.

Edgehill looked to counter as Pier threw men forward. And they looked to have sealed the title ten minutes from time, when Dodson’s fantastic overhead kick looked to be heading for the bottom corner, only for Wardman to pull off a stunning save.

As the game entered the final minutes, nerves started to show among the crowd at Seamer, with everyone knowing, a goal either side would decide the championship.

And Pier looked to have completed an amazing comeback, and with it, the title, but somehow, after a mass goal-line scramble Pier couldn’t find the net as a solid Edgehill backline managed to clear the ball into safety and seal the silverware.