Eleventh heaven for Boro

editorial image

Scarborough Athletic smashed their North Riding FA Cup opponents Thornaby to smithereens on Tuesday night at a sparsely populated Queensgate.

Boro may have altered their line-up from the last league run-out, but the powerful 11-1 success truely demonstrated the club’s strength in depth.

Led forward by joint-manager Bryan Hughes, Boro assumed the ascendancy in the very first minute and then refused to relinquish.

By the time the final whistle had been blown,Thornaby, who were unbeaten in their last six Northern League second division outings, had every ounce of confidence squeezed from their game.

Boro meanwhile, oozed the stuff, with their precise play and clinical finishing being the main traits of the victory.

It took less than 60 seconds for Boro to take the lead. Gary Bradshaw’s first forray into the Thornaby box was crudely ended by the rashest of tackles by keeper Michael Duff and ref Nicholas Hawksby pointed at the spot.

Jimmy Beadle showed his uncompromising penalty-taking style by smashing it into the bottom corner for 1-0.

It took Boro no time to double this advantage, as Matty Plummer skipped onto a Hughes pass and lifted it over Duff’s outstretched palm.

Bradshaw left the field, still feeling the effects of Duff’s foul, but that failed to halt a Boro flow that forced open the floodgates.

The first involvement of Bradshaw’s replacement Alex Metcalfe saw the winger’s legs being taken from under him inside the box.

Once again, Beadle almost tore through the net with his spot-kick.

By this point there was no stemming the tide of Boro pressure, midfielder James Bennett sweeping home from the edge of the area to make it 4-0.

Then Ryan Blott collected and advanced towards the area before striking a shot that looped up over Duff and into the roof of the net.

Despite kicking his heels for much of the first half, Boro stopper Joe Cracknell was still on his toes when required. He pounced on full-back Richard Walker’s low drive when Thornaby finally launched an attack of their own.

Normal service was soon restored though after half an hour, when Blott whipped in an effort that struck the foot of the post, Metcalfe nipped in to poke home the sixth.

That was enough for one half, despite Metcalfe and Beadle having opportunties to make things even worse for Thornaby.

It wasn’t long before Beadle wrapped up a well-taken hat-trick of goals. His third coming when he pirouetted neatly after five minutes of the second half and rolled into the net.

The foot was eased slightly off the gas after this, but Boro still had full control.

Blott was denied by an excellent save and an audacious lob from Hughes shuddered the Thornaby bar.

That pair linked up for Boro’s eighth after 67 minutes, with Hughes pin-point pass feeding Blott, who gobbled up the chance.

That was followed by one negative for Boro, as they shut off at the back and Gerard Livingstone stabbed home to give the travelling Thornaby fans a modicum of respect.

Boro bounced straight back though, and keeper Duff’s night to forget was underlined when he completely missed Hughes’ through-ball, with Metcalfe on hand to run it into the net.

Hughes then scored the goal that his fine return to the team deserved, the veteran running onto Beadle’s cut-back and picking out the bottom corner.

It was apt that the formidable Beadle sealed the success in the final seconds.

Metcalfe showed his electric pace on the left then had the vision to roll in to Beadle, who made no mistake from six yards.

That was that for an excellent night’s work, and it was also enough to set up an intriguing semi-final tie against Middlesbrough’s up and coming stars.