Errors deny Boro at Liversedge

editorial image

Scarborough Athletic tossed away what should have been a comfortable victory on the road at NCEL Premier opponents Liversedge as a scrappy affair finished level at 2-2.

As good as Boro had been in the promotion push, their form evaporated in the bitter surroundings of West Yorkshire, against a team that should have been easily swept aside.

Only a handful of players came out of the game with any credit, though Boro should have still have done enough.

The major issue was the handling of keeper Steve Wilson, as it seems he has a huge phobia of playing against Liversedge.

Having presented the Cleckheaton side with a share of the spoils earlier in the season, Wilson followed up with another error-strewn performance that gifted Liversedge a path back into this clash.

Boro were also stung by the dismissal of midfielder Tommy Adams, though the red card in the second half was a tad harsh.

Having kept the same starting line-up as the one that crushed Thackley three weeks earlier, Boro should have been in confident mood.

Their opponents offered little apart from panic on the ball and misplaced passing for much of the opening exchanges.

Boro did show some cohesion on a difficult surface, but there was little to suggest that they would pull clear.

Much of the threat came from right winger Jimmy Beadle, whose power and height caused a variety of problems.

Ryan Blott went close, while Beadle guided a header wide and well over the bar, but the key breakthrough didn’t look likely.

That was until James Bennett dished up a delicious cross into the area and Adams powered a header into the back of the net.

Normally Boro would have polished their rivals off, but instead a number of frailties began to creep in.

Almost immediately Denny Ingram had to make a saving tackle to save Wilson from getting his gloves dirty.

Boro should probably have lengthened their cushion before the half-time whistle was blown. Blott squeezed the ball into the net, but it was ruled out by the premature gesticulation of the linesman’s flag.

The new half moved away to a bizarre start, confirming that it wasn’t a good day for keepers.

Liversedge’s Ryan Blythe awfully sliced a back-pass and then fell over on-top the ball. He slightly redeemed his error by managing to keep out the in-direct free-kick that followed.

Wilson wasn’t as fortunate though minutes later, as he spilled a free-kick and Danny Toronczak poked home.

Boro responded in professional fashion, as Miller whipped in a cross from the left and Beadle rose to nod past a static Blythe.

Boss Rudy Funk saw fit to ring the changes after this, possibly expecting his side to push clear in the closing stages.

He took off Bennett and Miller, introducing Dave Kemp and the hugely ineffective David Brown.

Blott then went close with a neat volley and a blaze over the bar before being withdrawn for Henry Sibenge.

Immediately after this Boro found themselves down to 10 men when Adams was give a straight red card. Referee Mr Watson had clearly been watching a few too many Premier League decisions, as Adams clearly won the ball in a straight forward tackle. Instead the ref listened to the calls of the crowd and offered Adams the first use of the soap.

Brown’s only input followed as he rounded Blythe, but had a weak shot cleared off the line, then fellow sub Sibenge drilled a shot just wide.

But disaster struck soon after when Wilson dropped yet another easy catch and Chris Hirst gleefully finished.

With Bridlington Town and Brighouse both picking up points these errors were highlighted an awful lot more, as Boro’s gap at the top is now trimmed to just the one point and the chasing pack claw eagerly at their door.