Exley treble puts Scarborough Town back on track

Don't miss the Scarborough News every Thursday for Scarborough Town news
Don't miss the Scarborough News every Thursday for Scarborough Town news

Sean Exley’s hat-trick helped steer Scarborough Town to a 6-3 Humber Premier League premier division win at Chalk Lane on Saturday.

After three league games without a win, Town blasted their way back on track with a six-goal haul on the 3G surface at Hull University.

Sean Exley is congratulated by his team-mates after completing his hat-trick in the 6-3 win at Chalk Lane

Sean Exley is congratulated by his team-mates after completing his hat-trick in the 6-3 win at Chalk Lane

Having arrived late and with no chance to warm up, Town nevertheless started well and earned the first chance of the game through a Jamie Bradshaw shot.

However Chalk Lane responded well with Phil Pinkney scuffing his shot wide and Joe Addinall getting a header on target to give Rob Clark his first taste of action.

Town’s first corner was headed away but volleyed accurately back by Bradshaw to test home keeper Paul Walter, then Ben Luntley raced onto an incisive pass from Sean Exley and pushed the ball past the keeper but agonisingly wide of the post.

It was Luntley who created the chance for Town to take the lead on 16 minutes, keeping possession and setting up Bradshaw to hit the ball low and hard into the bottom corner of the net from the edge of the penalty box.

Uncharacteristic hesitation in the Town defence then allowed Tom Bennett an opportunity but he hit the ball well wide of the target.

Excellent anticipation from Bradshaw created a chance out of nothing, laying the ball off to Exley whose low effort was foiled when Walter instinctively stuck out a foot and deflected the shot wide.

Town continued to press, with Martin Cooper always probing for the killer pass and also having a blockbuster of a shot blocked by a last-ditch challenge. At the other end, some nifty footwork from Neil Leckenby allowed Glen Leach a header which was plucked out the air by Clark, and a half chance fell to ex-Scarborough Athletic player Joe Lightowler whose effort went very wide.

A through ball from Cooper sent Luntley away down the right to beat the keeper from a narrow angle but the ball went outside the upright. With two minutes of the half remaining Bennett’s fine effort was saved by Clark but as the ball ran loose the Town defence allowed Lightowler the time to net the equaliser.

However Town went straight back on the attack and Bradshaw cut in from the left and accelerated past Addinall, only to be upended for an obvious penalty. Exley stepped up to net confidently from 12 yards. There was still time for Bradshaw to set his sights and aim for the top corner, but his curling effort drifted wide.

The second half began with a piledriver from Exley which Walter pushed up and over for a corner, then as the ball came in Joel Ramm volleyed accurately goalwards but the keeper saved. Bradshaw sent Ricky Nock overlapping down the right to deliver a low cross which was clipped just wide by Exley at the near post.

Town were looking ever more likely to increase their lead, and on 55 minutes Exley was fouled from behind but got to his feet to deliver a stunning low shot from 35 yards which found the bottom corner to put Town 3-1 ahead.

The visitors increased their lead on 61 minutes thanks to a sterling run from Josh Clayton, bringing the ball out of defence and finding Luntley who had two men up in support but confidently took the responsibility of making it 4-1 to Town.

Within 60 seconds Chalk Lane pulled a goal back when a cross from the left was powerfully headed home by Ross Armstrong, then from an almost identical situation Adam Wilberforce headed against the Town crossbar.

Town were suddenly looking nervous, and as Nock tussled with Lightowler the referee’s assistant flagged for a penalty kick which the home player took himself to bring the scoreline back to 4-3 on 68 minutes.

Chalk Lane may have sniffed a chance of retrieving the game, but within a minute Town dampened their hopes when Jamie Bradshaw took the ball past four defenders and tucked the ball inside the post to make it 5-3.

Ramm won the ball and sent in a cross which just eluded Cooper at the far post, then Cooper broke away again to bring a tremendous full-length save from Walter.

Town wrapped the points up on 82 minutes when a superb passing move ended with a Cooper volley smacking against the goalpost but Exley was on hand to tuck the ball away for Town’s sixth goal.

The visitors nearly added another when Baz Gill found space at a corner but headed just wide, then Shane Holt went clear and took the keeper out of the equation before squaring the ball to Exley whose shot brought an amazing goalline clearance from a defender.

Town: Clark, Nock, Pickles, Gill, Clayton, Exley (Manson 88), Smart, Ramm, Cooper, Bradshaw (A Thomas 84), Luntley (Holt 81)