Filey battle to East Riding success

editorial image

Filey Town produced a fine performance on Tuesday night to beat Gilberdyke 2-0 in the final of the East Riding FA Senior Country Cup.

Town proved to be too strong for their East Riding League rivals, with a super Lalan Flynn strike and a Will Hunter penalty sealing the success.

Jay Taylor was delighted by his side who completed a cup double in his first season in charge, having lifted the Harbour Cup just a week or so earlier.

Taylor said: “We were absolutely outstanding, I can’t praise the lads enough.

“The only time we lapsed in concentration was when they had a free header from a corner, but Josh Crawford hung onto it well.

“All the lads worked hard and played really well. It is about the squad though, the players that came on and the lads that couldn’t be here. They have all played their part.

“It has been a good season overall, I couldn’t ask for more with two cups - one being the East Riding Cup, which is a trophy that Filey haven’t won for a lot of years.”

Taylor was also impressed by the quality of Flynn’s strike that opened the scoring for his side.

He added: “It is his second in a week after his goal against Ayton in the Harbour Cup.

“We were saying before that he wouldn’t be able to do it for a second time, but that one was probably sweeter.

That gave up the desire to push on and win the game.”

Filey started the game in confident fashion with Stu Dickens early drive stinging the palms of Gilberdyke keeper David Barker.

The Hull side always looked a constant threat on the break, with experience in midfield and bags of pace in attack.

Filey mopped up any danger in the first half though, both sides cancelling the other out in a gritty battle.

Phil Dickens managed to knife his way through the Gilberdyke defence, but his low, scuffed shot angled just wide of the upright.

The game continued to swing to and fro, though again Filey had the better of the play.

Lee Cappleman had two good opportunities to open the scoring, his first, a free-kick, was well saved. Then Phil Dickens nodded a corner into his path, but Barker made a great save to deny the midfielder.

Right on the stroke of half-time Gilberdyke had a fantastic chance of their own when full-back Danny Best was picked out on the far post, but he failed to convert from a yard.

This seemed to light the Filey touchpaper, with Jay Taylor’s men coming out for the second half in top gear.

Phil Dickens and James Pinder both had shots hacked off the Gilberdyke line, before Flynn’s wondergoal finally broke the deadlock.

Flynn collected the ball some 40 yards from goal and let fly with the sweetest of shots that nestled in the top corner.

Gilberdyke upped the tempo after this, with Filey still settling down after Flynn’s lively celebrations.

Ben Briggs twice put his body on the line to keeper out a Gilberdyke shot and Josh Crawford grasped a good header from a corner.

Ricky Tomlinson’s pace on the right soon provided Filey with an outlet though, and after a dancing run into the box the winger was crudely felled.

Will Hunter stepped up confidently and rolled the ball into the bottom corner.

By now Gilberdyke were on the ropes, flying into some crunching challenges and losing composure all over the pitch.

Filey took advantage of this with some nippy breaks, but they only resulted in long shots from Stu Dickens and Pinder.

Boss Taylor added more pace to try and rub more salt into the Gilberdyke wounds, youngsters Joe Eblet, Nathan Vernon and Scott Sheldon arriving for Flynn, Pinder and Tomlinson.

Vernon almost wrapped things up with only his second touch, bursting in from the left only to be denied by Barker.

But the damage had already been done by the battling Filey lads, who were given the chance to lift their second trophy of the season.