Filey flying high after league victory

HOLD UP PLAY ... Isaac Sands control the ball
HOLD UP PLAY ... Isaac Sands control the ball

FILEY Flyers clinched the second division title when they beat the itis itis 3-2 at home.

The Flyers were a goal to the good after 15 minutes when Scott Sheldon fired home and shortly after they doubled their advantage when Tom Haxby found the back of the net.

itis itis pulled a goal back through Isaac Sands, when he slotted home a spot-kick, but Filey restored their two-goal advantage when Phil Dickens notched.

Mark Oldroyd added a second for itis itis and that proved to be the end of the scoring as Flyers held firm to clinch the league championship.

Filey Flyers player Matty Dickens said: “We are delighted to have won the league and it was a great day.

“The boys have worked very hard over the season and we deserve to have won it.

“We are a young side and are looking forward to playing in the first division and I think we will be able to hold our own in the top flight.”

itis itis player-boss Matty Hobson added: “It was just one of those days for us where things didn’t quite go right.

“We had some more chances, and even had a goal disallowed for off-side in the second half.

“Congratulations to the Flyers for winning the league because they have been the best side and deserve it.”

Relegation battlers FC Filey and Sun Inn had to settle for a share of the spoils in a six-goal thriller.

Filey raced into a two-goal lead early doors thanks to a brace of goals from Max Gage in the opening 15 minutes of proceedings.

Sun hit back when Scott Newland headed home following a corner kick and they were on level terms when Lee Patterson converted a penalty.

Filey regained control just before half-time when Adam Butcher registered.

With 30 minutes left Sun forced an equaliser when Carl Hepples found the back of the net.

A point did nothing to really help either side’s predicament in the table although both sides are clear of rock-bottom Pirates.

This was Filey’s final game of the season so their plight now rests in the hands of the sides around them.

FC Filey boss Darren Butcher said: “That is it for us now this season and we will just have to see what happens.

“It has been tough and we could really had done with three points today but it was not to be.”

Sun boss Dave Pickard added: “We worked hard for the point today in a tough game.”