Filey move into East Riding final

editorial image

A last-gasp Stu Dickens free-kick moved Filey Town into the final of the East Riding FA Senior Country Cup on Wednesday night.

Dickens brilliantly bent the ball into the top corner of the Little Weighton net to smake sure of the 1-0 victory on the outskirts of Beverley.

Town will now tackle Gilberdyke Phoenix in the final of the competition at Queensgate on Tuesday May 6.

Filey had made a slow start to the tie, though they came alive after the break.

Ricky Tomlinson had a couple of good chances to move Jay Taylor’s side ahead, before Dickens scored the dramatic winner.

Lalan Flynn played well in midfield for Filey, while Will Hunter impressed at centre-back.

Ayton condemned Ryedale to relegation from the first division and also boosted their hopes of survival with a 1-0 win on the road.

Steve Roberts’ Ayton side had plenty of chances to wrap the game up in the opening half, but all they had to show was a solitary goal.

It came when Chris Stubbings broke down the right and fed Dan Peel, who in turn finished neatly at the near post.

Ryedale came out strongly when the second half kicked off and Ben Riley was forced to make a smart save.

Ayton hung on well though to book a vital three points.

The game between Whitby Fishermen and Eastfield St James was called off due to the latter failing to raise a side.

In division two, Sleights furthered their promotion credentials when they won 4-2 against Rosette.

Rosette moved a goal to the good when the lively Tommy Blackburn struck a sweet half-volley from 30 yards.

Sleights levelled the game up from the penalty spot, but once again Rosette moved into the ascendancy, Jamie Deyes finding the net.

Rosette could have made sure after the break, twice hitting the bar, but Sleights soon took control bagging three goals to seal the success.

The Sleights scorers were James Fawcett, Joe Leadley, Jake Faichney and Ben Watson.

Hosts Rosette had Mikey Harland to thank for a good performance in goal.

Cayton Corinthians’ place in the relegation zone was confirmed after they lost 4-1 against Filey Town Reserves.

A Joe Gage double and a strike from Billy Coyne moved Filey three goals up at the interval.

Tom Haxby added a fourth when the new half got underway, though Isaac Sands pulled one back for a Cayton side that had former Scarborough FC legends Shaun Rennison and Darren Foreman at centre-half.

Lewis Pickles played well on the right of midfield for the defeated team.

The third division saw basement side Seamer Sports Reserves bag a final game win against Falsgrave Reserves.

Falsgrave fell a goal behind, but Dan Hartley flicked them level from a corner.

After the break Sam Walker ran clear to make sure of the win after he rounded the keeper.

Boss Gary Dixon praised his whole side for their positive finish to the season.