Filey Reserves through after penalty success


FILEY Town Reserves will be in the draw for the third round of the Trophy Trader League Trophy after holding their nerve from the penalty spot after a 3-3 draw against Snainton.

Snainton led 1-0, 2-1 and 3-2 during the end-to-end encounter, which was 2-2 at the end of the 90 minutes.



Liam Cummings shone for Snainton, bagging two while Mike Webster also scored, while Dave Wedge, Johnny Hunter and Lee Eblet all scored to even things up - Eblet’s last-gasp equaliser coming after an error by the Snainton keeper.

And it was Filey who managed to slot home all three of their penalties while stand-in keeper Jordan Collins saved two and saw one sail over as the hosts took the cup-tie and progressed into the next round.

They will be joined in the next round by Edgehill Reserves, who beat West Pier Reserves 6-3.

It was a mixed day for Alec Coulson, who hit a first half hat-trick, but as he stepped up to slide home his third with a penalty, he suffered a knee injury that required him to travel to hospital by ambulance.

Edgehill v AFC Hillside.'113992b. Pic Kevin Allen.'01/10/11.

Edgehill v AFC Hillside.'113992b. Pic Kevin Allen.'01/10/11.

Tom Scales notched a brace and Sam Wharton netted their last, while Joe Cairns and Stuart Butler registered for Pier.

FC Rosette progressed without kicking a ball as their scheduled hosts FC Filey folded on Friday.

Filey Town had a comfortable afternoon as they eased past Flixton and into the third round of the Coastal Shellfish League Cup.

Cameron Dobson was in inspired form as he bagged four goals in their 7-0 triumph.

Edgehill v AFC Hillside.'113992d. Pic Kevin Allen.'01/10/11.

Edgehill v AFC Hillside.'113992d. Pic Kevin Allen.'01/10/11.

Young striker James Pinder continued his decent run in front of goal with a well-taken brace and Ricky Tomlinson rounded off the scoring with a tap-in after good work by Pindar.

West Pier returned from their lengthy trip to face Redcar Athletic and frustrated as they crashed out of the North Riding FA Saturday Challenge Cup 5-4 on penalties.

The sides couldn’t find the target during the 90 minutes and after both sides netted four from four in the penalty shoot-out, Tommy Barker was the unlucky man to see his spotkick ricochet back off the post to send Pier out.

Eastfield St James will face trickier ties in the competition after they sauntered to a 7-1 win against Reeth & District Athletic.

Daz Wilford netted a hat-trick and Damien Devine, Ben David, Dom Barber and Ben Salt all got their names on the scoresheet to complete a comfortable afternoon for Kev David’s men.

Newlands Park Hotel smashed eight past Scalby to make it into the next round.

Eric Hall bagged three, Chris Dove hit a first-half brace, and Dave Thompson, Stu Bates and Michael Wilson completed the rout, while Ashley Townley and Bradley Wilkinson found the back of the net for Matthew Scott’s men.

Last season’s runners-up Edgehill beat AFC Hillside 4-0 to go through to the next round.

Man of the match Liam Fraser, Lalan Flynn, Dean Craig and Martin Coulson all found the net for Terry Jenkinson’s side.

Cayton beat Spennithorpe & Harmby 4-1 to seal their progression into the next round.

Paul Amoah showed a yard of pace to create some space to cross into the box, only to see the ball loop into the net to make it 1-0.

Ryan McClements made it 2-0 with a tap-in after Jake Scutt’s effort was parried by the keeper, before Mark Vasey slammed into the top corner to make it 3-0.

Cayton went into the break 4-0 up thanks to Mike Brown’s goal after good work by pace merchant Rich Simpson, and that was that with exception to a late Spenithorpe strike.

Nelson manager Kev Creelman was forced into action with his side a man short for their trip to Easingwold.

Creelman suffered an early blow but soldiered on for his side, who took a 1-0 lead through Dave Young after just 10 minutes.

Easingwold scored after half an hour and just before the interval to take the lead, and the scores remained that way until Creelman had a glorious chance to draw his side level but saw his effort hacked off the line.

Si McCallaugh impressed for Nelson, as did debutant Steve Malone.