Fishermen ease past Scalby at a drenched Carr Lane

Don't miss Thursday's paper for pictures and report as well as league tables and fixtures.
Don't miss Thursday's paper for pictures and report as well as league tables and fixtures.

In the only game to survive the wet weather in the Saturday League today, Whitby Fishermen’s Society moved into the quarter-finals of the Harbour Cup after a 3-0 win at Scalby in tough conditions.

Referee Bill Pashby allowed the game to go ahead in sodden conditions after both sides agreed to play, despite there being standing water on the Carr Lane surface.

The division two hosts battled valiantly against their top flight opponents, with the conditions also proving to be something of a leveller for them, under the stewardship of new manager Rich Birley for the first time.

The breakthrough finally came after half an hour though. Scalby over committed from a free-kick and when the ball was cleared to impressive midfielder Phil Raisbeck, who carried forward before letting fly with a superb left-footed strike that nestled in off the post.

Scalby had a superb chance to level when Danny Birley found himself one-on-one with the visiting keeper, but he was thwarted by a smart save down to his left by the stopper.

Fishermen’s midfield duo of Raisbeck and former Scarborough FC man Steve Swales were starting to pull the strings, feeding another former Boro man in Mark Swales, who was making dangerous runs up front for Mark Storr’s men.

Their pressure paid off when Steve Swales profited from the standing water on the pitch as the ball ran for him before curling superbly past the helpless Matty Scott in the Scalby goal.

Scott was called into action again shortly afterwards when he produced a stunning save onto the post from Jordan Purvis before the ball was hacked to safety by a Scalby defender.

But Fishermen weren’t to be denied a third and it came when Neil Hart rifled in from a tight angle on the left to confirm their win and place in the quarter-final, much to the delight of boss Storr.

He said: “The main thing is nobody got injured in the end. I was in two minds that the game should have been played but we’ve got the win and nobody has got hurt.

“Phil Raisbeck played very well in the middle of the park for us today. He can really pick a pass and he showed that.

“We’re pleased to go through and I think we play Edgehill or Fishburn in the last eight.”