Five-star Boro hammer Kidsgrove

editorial image

Scarborough Athletic produced a five-star second-half display as they powered to an emphatic victory over Kidsgrove Athletic at Queensgate.

The 5-0 win more than made up for the disappointment of the opening day draw at Kidsgrove’s Seddon Stadium, a game in which Boro had three men sent off.

Much like the previous meeting between the two teams, the Staffordshire side did little to endear themselves to the Seadogs faithful, niggling, whinging and throwing themselves to the turf at every opportunity in the opening exchanges.

Whatever the visitors’ game plan was, it worked in the first half.

Rudy Funk’s men struggled to get their passing game going and too often tried to force the play, taking the direct approach on a number of occasions in the first 45 minutes.

Boro did manage to find a way through Grove’s stubborn rearguard on one occasion but Pete Davidson dallied when presented with a clear sight of goal after 33 minutes and visiting gloveman Dan Read got down to smother his effort.

Just 60 seconds later, Boro were fortunate not to fall behind when a mix-up left Jason White stranded and Matt Haddrell bearing down on an unguarded goal.

Kidsgrove’s number nine seemed intent on walking the ball into the net and his reluctance to pull the trigger allowed Paul Foot to get back in time to make a superb block on the goal line.

Boro failed to clear the loose ball and Haddrell was presented with a second opportunity to open the scoring, but his strike was pushed away by White diving low to his right.

Little else of note happened in the first half, but the second period took only four minutes to burst into life.

A misplaced header from Davidson in midfield resulted in another great opening for Haddrell but the bungling striker hit a tame effort straight into the arms of White.

It did not take Boro long to make Kidsgrove pay for their profligacy in front of goal.

52 minutes were on the clock when Ryan Williams switched the play from right to left and picked out Gary Bradshaw at the back post.

After a lovely first touch, the former North Ferriby man swivelled and flashed a half-volley across the face of goal for Ryan Blott to nod home from six yards out.

It was the first of a number of fabulous moments of interplay between Boro’s front two in a fluid second-half performance.

A second goal was always coming as Kidsgrove struggled to cope with their hosts as they moved through the gears.

Tom Davie was denied by a fine last-ditch tackle by Andrew Taylor either side of two efforts from Blott that flew over the crossbar.

Blott did eventually register his second when some neat footwork and an unselfish cut back from Bradshaw presented his strike partner with a simple chance that he duly slotted home from close range.

The third goal arrived in the 67th minute when Bradshaw got in on the act, beating the offside trap before calmly clipping the ball over the advancing Read.

Three became four after 71 minutes when Bradshaw cut in from the right and placed a measured, curling effort just inside Read’s far post.

Davidson was sent through on goal for a second time and looked set to make it 5-0 with nine minutes remaining, but was denied by a decent save by Read.

The fifth goal did arrive, however, when Chris Bolder - a half-time substitute for Bryan Hughes - was left unmarked on the penalty spot and met a lovely dinked cross from the byline by Tom Davie with a first-time finish into the bottom corner.

After a disjointed and goalless first half, a 5-0 success hardly looked likely at the interval but such was the fluency of their attacking play after the break, Funk’s charges were good value for what was their sixth consecutive league win.