Funk frustrated by Armthorpe stopper.

Ryan Blott was unlucky not to score more than the one goal against Armthorpe
Ryan Blott was unlucky not to score more than the one goal against Armthorpe

Rudy Funk once again found the frustration of the NCEL Premier on Tuesday night as his Scarborough Athletic team were held at 2-2 by Armthorpe.

Boro were forced to come back from 2-1 down in the second half, though they should have probably run away with it in the closing stages, as a host of shots came and went.

Former Doncaster Rovers youngster William Biggs was the difference on the night, making a string of immaculate saves to deny Boro.

Athletic’s defensive frailties were clear to see on the night though, as Armthorpe gleefully countered dangerously on a number of occasions, exposing a total lack of pace.

Funk said: “I just can’t believe it. Keepers come here and play their best game of the season, their keeper did exactly that, making some amazing saves.

“We weren’t as fluid as we have been because they put us under a lot of pressure, a draw was possibly a fair result.

“We didn’t have the rub of the green on the night, especially with the chances we created in the final few minutes of the game, but sometimes you have to take it on the chin, one point is better than none.”

He added: “I was disappointed with a few individuals because they didn’t quite perform. We just have to bounce back on Saturday and hopefully everything will be right.

“I’m not in a position to bring new players in because we have quality lads and they all need playing time.

“There is talk of us needing strengthing here and there. If anyone is brave enough to say that to me then lets have a chat.

“I do what I have to do with the resources that I have. If I make the squad too large then things won’t work out.

“I do know what I’m doing and I know that things will be okay.”

Boro looked superb going forward throughout the game, with Hawkes gaining plenty of joy on the right and Blott forging a central attack.

Hawkes produced the best effort of the opening moments, as he lobbed an effort just over the bar. It didn’t take the rampant Boro attackers long to make the breakthrough they deserved.

Hawkes stole in and cut the ball back for James Bennett, the midfielder smashing home past Biggs.

Andy Milne, Tony Hackworth and Blott all went close and it all looked to be plain sailing.

The new half bought stormier waters though, with Gaz Clayton limping off and Armthorpe starting a revival.

This retort was aided by some shoddy defending, their first goal after 58 minutes being a large example of this.

Matt Draper won a big header on the half-way line, but Armthorpe lofted it straight back forward. Daz Winter was done for pace and the ball was expertly swept home by Callum Smith.

Boro tried to up the tempo, but they were torn apart on the counter for a second time after an hour. The hosts scrapped away in a bid to clear their lines after an Armthorpe burst, but Callum Green collected and drilled in from the edge of the box.

This sparked a roaring reply from Boro, and after plenty of huffing and puffing they finally restored parity.

A long ball forward was picked up by Tommy Adams, Blott ran onto his flick and the striker put the ball away.

The rest of the game turned into shooting practice for Boro, though there was the odd scare due to the nippy Armthorpe attackers proving too lively for the home back-line.

Biggs came into his own for Armthorpe at this point, making a brilliant save from Hawkes and then two amazing stops from Blott, who set out on a personal mission for the winner.

The goal didn’t come though and they three points that looked on the cards earlier in the fixture faded away to one.