Funk looking to future after draw

editorial image

SCARBOROUGH Athletic signed off for the season on Saturday, allowing boss Rudy Funk to switch his attention to the future.

Funk was looking for a final-day victory, but a point and a clean-sheet was enough to put a smile on his face.

He said: “I felt a lot more comfortable with our side. There were a few senior lads back and there was still the glimpses of or future.

“It would have been harsh to lose it because we had one or two great chances.

“To sign off with a 0-0, the clean-sheet, was positive.”

After a gruelling close to the campaign, the players will now be taking a well-deserved break. Though their boss will remain on duty right throughout the summer months in a bid to prepare for next season.

He added: “I can’t thank the players enough. The way they have behaved and the way they have put themselves about since my arrival.

“We’ll just see now how things are over the next few months because we need to strengthen up with new faces.

“People have said that when I arrived here it was just like a pre-season. I didn’t take it like that though.

“I’ve learned a lot during this period, from the chairman Dave Holland and the fans. I now know how the club is run and I also know the demands of the supporters, which does put me in good stead.

“I’m glad the season is over because it has been hard for everyone, especially the players, who have had a huge number of games to play.

“I would like to say a big thank-you to them, I would like to thank the board for giving me the chance to manage Scarborough Athletic, and I would also like to thank the fans.

“Our supporters have been magnificent. They are so powerful in getting behind the team. I can only see them getting more powerful with a much stronger team playing in front of them.”

Saturday’s match was a game of two halves, as the wind whipping in off the Humber gusted from one goal to the other.

Winterton had this boost in the first half, and they should probably have been ahead at the break.

An off-target dink from Danny Gibbons and a drive over from Liam Wilkin were the best the hosts could produce.

After the interval it was all Boro.

Boro’s best opportunity fell to Bill Law, who was slotted through by Gary Hepples. Law smashed his effort straight at keeper Jack Ward.

Ryan Blott also went close, sending a delightful free-kick around the wall and against the outside of the post.

Blott also saw a number of useful efforts saved by the in-form Ward.

A Law mistake almost allowed Winterton in for a winner in the closing minutes, but sub Josh Clayton got across to deny the pacy home attacker Tom Finnigan.